OWC Macsales.com Upgrades for my 2010 Mac Pro with Pictures

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Desmo1098, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Desmo1098 macrumors regular

Desmo1098

I received my 2010 Mac Pro last week with the following specifications:

• 3.33 GHz 6-core Westmere
    • 3 GB RAM
    • 1 TB WD Caviar Black
    • 1 x SuperDrive
    • 2 x ATI Radeon 5770
    • Magic Trackpad
    • Magic Mouse
    • Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

Because the amount of money Apple charges for upgrades on hard drives, memory, etc. I decided to try OWC macsales.com for all my aftermarket upgrades.

I placed the order last night and chose overnight shipping. OWC is located in Illinois and I placed the order at 3 PM Pacific Time and chose overnight shipping to Arizona and I received the package at 10:30 AM this morning. I must say I was very impressed with their ability to process an order that quick. When I received the package this morning I was a little nervous about the packaging, especially after my Mac Pro was shipped from China with the box looking like it went through a war zone, literally. Once I opened it, I was shocked and pleased to see the care that OWC takes in preparing hard drives and other parts for shipping. With that being said, I am only ordering from OWC for all future upgrades to my Mac Pro. I included some pictures, in the link below, of the following parts that I ordered:

• Intel 160 GB SSD
    • ICY Dock SSD 2.5" to 3.5" Mounting Dock
    • 3 x Western Digital RE 3 1 TB HDD
    • 2 x Samsung Super WriteMaster DVD with LightScribe

I also included more pictures of my Mac Pro with the upgrades installed.

http://www.delta-inc.com

By the way, I think I will be using only the Magic TrackPad from now on... It really is great to use!

Enjoy!

Desmo

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Nice to hear that! I've never bought anything from OWC as they are located in US but have never heard anything bad about them and this just feeds their reputation

3. Aquanaut macrumors member

I bought a spec very similar to you but with different graphics cards. I also ordered a pile of stuff from OWC (SSD, Icy Dock, Mercury Elite QX2, RAM), all of which arrived within 48 hours, the difference is that I am in the UK. They really are exceptionally good.

4. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

how much did you have to pay extra for customs?

5. tarsierspectral macrumors regular

nice upgrade, just curious, what's so special about the magic trackpad, it's like the pad on a laptop right?

6. Aquanaut macrumors member

I bought things over a period of a few days, each arrived within 48 hours of the order being place, it either shipped with FedEx or UPS, depending on the selection at checkout. The 240GB SSD had no duty or VAT, it was just delivered. The 4TB raid box had about £80 which was paid to the delivery driver. Prepare yourself to pay some duty/VAT but have a nice surprise if/when they don't want any. :)

7. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Nice, thanks for the pictures.

I'm eagerly awaiting my OWC box. And I love my trackpad, too. Awesome.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nice pictures. I've actually never seen a picture of the uniprocessor board before! Damn that heatsink is enormous!