OWC Mecury Elite-AL Pro 2x 2tb

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dobbs2, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Ok I have a separate external enclosure which only offers usb and for one drive only. My iMac sees both drives when i put them one at a time in there. I have formatted them to extended journaled. I place both in this new enclosure since I need firewire 800 and 4tb. It doesn't mount or show up in disk utility. What am I doing wrong. I have tried the fw 800, fw400 and usb on this drive enclosure. I have powered off the unit and restarted my mac and still nothing. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

2. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. spidey3 macrumors regular

It would be easier to help if we knew exactly which model enclosure you are using. OWC's model names can be a bit confusing. Do you know the model number (something like OWCMANMFW924AL2)?

Spidey!!!

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

did you ever hear back from OWC? they should have the required firmware for the drive to be put in a RAID or JBOD mode.

6. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haven't heard back from them. Owcmef936al2. Tried a fw 936ap but my device isn't compatible. Couldn't find any other firmware. The drive showed in disk utility for 30 secs one time as 2.2tb and disappeared.

7. spidey3 macrumors regular

How is the drive attached to your Mac?
    By "only offers USB" do you mean that the enclosure only has a USB port, or that it has multiple ports, and only the USB port works?

As for the model number, I am still having a hard time figuring out which model this is (OWC's site isn't too good in this regard -- they have many products all of which are "OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro"). Which ports does the unit have on the back? Can you find it on their website, and send the link?

Spidey!!!

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

try calling or live chat. does it work via firewire?

9. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

They couldn't help me. They are going to send me a new unit. I have to pay shipping though.

10. spidey3 macrumors regular

I don't mean to be nasty, but if you were as terse and short on details with OWC's tech support as you have been here, then I am not surprised that they were not able to help you, and are forcing you to pay shipping for a replacement unit.

It is very hard for us [or anyone else] to help when we don't have any of the details...

I am still curious -- can you send a link the the model in question, as requested?

Spidey!!!

11. Dobbs2, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I wasn't short. I had two threads open about the same subject. I started here because this was the correct place for the question. Had no one answer so I posted in the iMac section where applenewton was helping me. Also I don't have a link to the model I bought it in April they discontinued it. I put the model number in a few post above as it's not on the website anymore. It would not recognize on FireWire 400, 800 or USB on any Mac. I tried all those same connections and estata on a windows machine and still nothing. Same drives worked in another single bay enclosure.

12. spidey3 macrumors regular

Sorry -- didn't realize there was another thread.
    Sounds like it may be an issue with the device, or that the RAID controller is trying to rebuild the array [and possibly failing].

Are they sending you back the same model, or an updated one?

Spidey!!!

13. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

They are sending me the same model. They said if this new one didn't work then they could possibly upgrade me, but at this time I'm getting the same one.

14. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also it was hard for me to remember what I said in each thread. So my apologies.