OWC memory better than Apple's or the same quality?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Luba, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Anybody know who makes the memory Apple sells?

If Apple's memory is more reliable, better quality than I'll pay the extra instead of buying from OWC or from Crucial.

How would you rank the quality of 3rd party memory . . . OWC better than Crucial?

Thanks for your feedback. :)

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Another vote for OWC.

Have 6GB of it in my MBP and 16GB of it in my MP without any issues.

Good people to deal with.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Apple buys from whom ever has what they need at the lowest price. Just like any other vendor. :eek: :p

OWC, Crucial, Kingston, and some others are all fine. Just find what fits the specs, and lowest cost. ;) No need to worry about it. :D

Memory is rather simple, fortunately. :p

4. Trev311 macrumors member

Agreed

I've used nothing buy Mushkin memory in my MP and so far it has been great. They have been really good to deal with too. I just happened to be able to catch a bunch on sale for cheaper than OWC that day, but I think OWC is cheaper now...

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You don't step on Superman's cape.
    You don't spit into the wind.
    You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger.
    And you DON'T buy RAM from Apple.

OWC works, and is cheaper than Apple.

6. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Put a lot of OWC RAM into a lot of different Apple computers, never had an issue. Not saying it can't happen, but they're very, very good.

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Pretty much ALL RAM is the same quality. Shop by price and specification. That's all there is to it.

You can say ALL the things being said above about ANY RAM!

8. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I bought OWC and they stand behind what they sell...

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Used to buy ram from Crucial. Now I buy from OWC. Have had zero problems with it. In fact they back it up and state it meets and /or exceeds apple specs.

10. Demonfart macrumors newbie

I'm running OWC RAM also, works great and it's fairly priced. Customer service from OWC has been very impressive as well.

11. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

I had OWC RAM and it was a nightmare... memory modules burnt out, heat sinks misaligned, ECC errors, dead memory sticks, computer wouldn't start. These were the new cheap sticks they have for the 2009 Mac Pro's. Even had replacement sticks and those were messed up. They even acknowledged the problem. If you care about your Nehalem Mac Pro I would stay clear from their memory.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

IIRC, weren't you using the 4GB sticks shortly after they began offering them?

It might be relevant for some who need more capacity than 2GB sticks can provide, but the 1 & 2GB sticks seem to be working just fine. Going by the number of posts on the forum anyway. :p So I would think your situation was an anomaly rather than the norm.

That doesn't take away from the fact it your experience royally sucked though. ;)

13. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

this happened to me too with my 2.8 ghz, it took them 3 weeks to get me replacement sticks.... i don't know, maybe other people had better luck

14. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Gawd! That must be really bad news for your motherboard! I wouldn't want a bunch of guys standing on my motherboard - especially right behind the RAM. :D

But all seriousness aside, RAM specs include warrantee length and conditions. Most of the stuff I look at theses days has a "lifetime" warrantee so there is no reseller that's better than any other in this regard. It's the manufacturers that stand behind their products. :eek: This might be even worse on the MB - I think I need a bigger case! :D

15. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Yes these were the 4GB sticks. I have no experience with the other sticks. The 4GB sticks were seriously screwed up. Half of them didn't work... out of 3 replacement sticks... all 3 didn't work.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

I definitely recall you had a mess and a half. ;) But I wanted to clarify that you had used the 4GB sticks, as the 1 or 2GB DDR3 UDIMMS seem to be fine.

The FB-DIMM they sell has been purchased by many for the '06 - '08's, and I don't recall seeing any issues with it.

It could be rather useful for those in the market for memory. :D

17. ethen macrumors regular

I have 5 Mac from iMac to mac Pro, all using OWC ram, they have good RMA policy too and best of all, beat Apple's ram upgrade price anyday

18. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

OWC is great. I've bought RAM for all my Macs through them, and the only time I've had trouble with the hardware was on my latest purchase (4x2GB sticks).

One of the sticks only showed up as a 1GB module instead of 2GB (and showed a red light on the RAM board), and another worked fine but ran pretty hot compared to the other ones. I called OWC and they set up an RMA for the stick that was showing the error. I cautiously mentioned the stick that was hot (but worked OK), and the rep said "no problem, we'll RMA both of them". 2 days later I had 2 new sticks and 0 issues.

Good customer service even if something does go wrong.