OWC memory question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Virgil-TB2, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Hi,

Thinking of getting some more memory for my MacPro from OWC (seems a popular favorite around here), and am stopped by one confusing thing on their website.

On the page that describes the memory you are buying, there is a picture (number 1), that shows the exact part I need and presumably the exact part they will send.

However, when you click on the link that purports to show the difference between OWC's "Apple certified heatsinks" and the rest of the industry you get the confusing picture in (number 2). It seems to directly imply that you will not be getting the piece in picture 1, but rather the crappier looking red heat-sink item in picture 2 instead.

My question is, (to those who have bought OWC memory), when it arrives ... is it the solid, serious looking memory in the first picture or the more colourful less reliable looking, "party" memory with the thin red heat-sink?

Attached Files:

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

I purchased 8x2GB last month or so and they look like the ones in the top figure. No color heatsink here.

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I also purchased 8 x2 gig and they are picture #1

4. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

5. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The Netlist "Apple Certified" RAM looks identical to the red finned one in the photo. The OWC "Apple Qualified" RAM looks closer to the Apple stock RAM (and nearly everyone else's).

6. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

the first picture

1st Picture. I am running OWC Ram in both my MBP 15 and 17 inch models with no issues.:apple:

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The question is regarding a mac pro, not mbp. The RAM is not comparable. But to answer the OP's question, pic 1. Order now while it is cheap. It was $60 more for a 4GB kit just a month and a half ago when I ordered mine!

8. G4DP macrumors 65816

Have recently got 4 x 2GB and they are the top picture.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There is nothing wrong with the NetList module -- it meets the temperature spec, and is quality RAM. The heatsink looks different, is all, but it is designed for good airflow.

10. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I can attest to that. I have 4 Netlist 1GB modules in my MP and it runs just as cool and error-free as my Apple RAM. That being said, OWC is priced more competitively vs Netlist these days, so if I need to buy more RAM, I'll go with OWC.

11. Lurgen macrumors newbie

I bought 4 x 2GB from OWC (split over two orders) and both batches arrived with the nice chunky black heatsinks. In fact, they are visibly larger than the Apple ones.

The OWC RAM seems to run slightly hotter than the OEM modules, but that is probably due to them being higher capacity.

The RAM arrived nice and quickly, was packaged very well, had excellent instructions on how to install (not really needed, but I like their attention to detail), and work perfectly.

10GB of RAM is a very nice way to work.

12. Virgil-TB2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Groovy! :)

Thanks for all the responses. I know the red heat-sink ones are technically just as good, the others just looked like a better design to me.

13. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

No trouble here with OWC memory on 2.66 MacPro. No red risers on their memory shipped to me.

14. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

A word of caution for OWC... Months ago I purchased a 4GB kit and it turned out to be faulty. They then shipped me another set which was lost by UPS. They then shipped me yet another set which again was lost by UPS. So in all I had nearly $1,000 charged to my credit card. I patiently waited two months and OWC would still not refund the money even though they new the packages were lost by UPS. It took nearly 20 calls and finally a threat to blog about my experience before they would refund the orders. This was a really bad experience especially since I had purchased about $600 worth in RAM from them over the past few years. I will never buy anything from them again and happily ordered my RAM from Crucial.

The way I see it, if you can afford to buy a computer that starts out at $2500 then paying 30 bucks more for RAM from the best RAM manufacturer is a no brainer :). Lesson learned!

15. Roy macrumors 6502

More like $80 difference between OWC and Crucial. 4GB kit (2 X 2). Crucial is generally substantially higher (not Apple higher) than the rest of the ram producers or resellers. I've seen no data showing that Crucial is the "best ram manufacturer".

16. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

17. LOZER macrumors member

Got 4 gigs 2 months ago. It the first pic with heatsinks and they work great not a single problem, highly recommend OWC.

18. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Cool. I just purchased 4GB myself from OWC. Can't wait for the arrival of them.

19. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

UPS and cross-ship/claims

I have to be honest - this doesn't at all sound right.

We ship tens of thousands of orders each month. It is extremely rare that any of the carriers we allow our customers to select from (Fedex, UPS, DHL, even USPS) ever lose a parcel, never mind three in a row. But in such a situation - we are here to resolve that quickly and without additional hassle.

Based on available tracking information and/or shipment trace - without any charge to a customers credit card, we take care of expediting out a replacement order. From there, we deal with the carrier on the lost product and there is no burden on our customer - unless the 'lost' shipment ends up found delivered and in which case we issue a return label to cover the return freight.

It is not our policy, nor has it been, to charge for an order we send to replace a shipment that has been determined missing/lost.

For all aspects we seek to make the process as easy as possible.

From free online video installation guides and 'quick start' sheets:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/how_to_install/Apple/Mac_Pro_Memory_800Mhz_2008

to a Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Customized_Pages/Framework.cfm?page=PowerBook_Memory/memhead/warranty.html
    policy that ensures a speedy replacement in the very rare case you experience a memory failure - be it in 5 days or 5 years from now. All OWC Mac Pro memory is fully Apple Spec, fully tested, and built with major premium components including the Apple preferred IDT AMB.

I don't know what happened with what you've described on three UPS lost shipments and apologize for any frustration. Feel free to drop me a line as I'd love to personally review what occurred and make sure it doesn't happen again. While a carrier losing shipments is pretty well beyond our control, how we handle the situation is what is supposed to set OWC a part in a positive manner and as described, this is not our process. Thanks!

20. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

Red/Black

FWIW - all the current heatsinks are black, no current product employs the red heatsinks. :)

21. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

We will get that 2nd image updated/corrected. Sorry about that.

22. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

memory temps

4GB modules will run warmer than 2GB warmer than 1GB warmer than 512MB...

Higher density and or simply more devices result in more heat. The difference isn't significant in that the modules still run well within, well under the maximum allowed temps. The warmest point on any FB-DIMM is above the AMB - that memory controller, actually a processor upon itself, is where most of the heat in the memory bay is generated from. But I digress. :)

23. Jasper2k macrumors newbie

OWC for me!

I'm running two 2GB OWC sticks in my 17" MBP from Day One with no problems at all! This is my 3rd machine running with OWC RAM exclusively and I've never had a single issue.

Saved a TON of $, too - thanks Larry!! :)

24. Mac128 macrumors newbie

I have been buying memory from OWC for years. I used to buy quite a bit from them when I did volunteer work at a school. Sometimes buying enough to upgrade a whole lab. In all of the years that I have bought from them, I only got a bad stick one time. No problem returning and getting a replacement.

I just bought some recently for my Mac Pro. The memory is working fine.