OWC memory woes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiracer8148, Feb 8, 2011.

1. skiracer8148 macrumors member

I recently purchased 8GB ram for my 2010 13" MBP 2.4ghz, All my web browsers (safari, chrome, firefox) were all crashing 20+ times a day. I also was having kernel panics and having to restart couple times a day. After alot of reading around im pretty sure it was the 8gb ram from OWC must be defective. So i call OWC and they say to remove the ram clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and re install. I did this today and so far so good but i will update later this week.
    [​IMG]

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh dear - that is very sad! unfortunately it does sound like the RAM may be defective. i would call them up again, state you have actioned their initial wishes which did not work and would like replacements be sent out immediately. :)

3. skiracer8148 thread starter macrumors member

OWC is sending me a new set, they authorized my CC but as long as they get the defective set back by a certain date they wont charge.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

great news. OWC is a very professional company, you dont have anything to worry about :)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree! OWC is great about standing behind the products they sell.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I got a bad set for my MBP in December. Called OWC and they had me do a few tests... We concluded it was bad RAM and they replaced it and sent me a shipping label to return at no charge.

One of the tests they had me do was to remove one of the two ram chips. Then reboot and see how it works. If good then repeat with the other one. You only need one DIMM slot filled to run your MBP so this is a good test. They also had me do a Pram clearing when I rebooted. these are tips that are useful to know, especially being able to run with only one DIMM slot filled which makes the worst case scenario tolerable