OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express Solid State Drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ammar577, Jun 2, 2011.

1. ammar577 macrumors newbie

Guys I'm debating if I should buy the OWC 240GB Mercury Aura Pro Express
    Solid State Drive for the MBA11". Im just waiting for the update now June and I will buy MBA. Can you please share your experience? Is it worth the price?

2. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I thought the 128GB on mine 11 might be an issue for me. However since getting it last month, I am finding that with everything on a 1TB Seagate Go flex, it works fine. By the way I got the 1TB for $100 so it is way cheaper than upgrading the SSD. True you do have an external drive to hook up but for me it is worth it price wise and size wise:rolleyes:

3. ammar577 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but the whole Idea for me is to have direct accesses with out an external drive. The reason I'm aiming for the 11" is to save space and reduce my carrying weight and space.

I really need a personal review guys

Thanks,

Ammar

4. KPOM macrumors G5

MacWorld recently did a review. Check their site. They said it is nice if you need the storage, and was relatively easy to install, but that you likely won't notice much difference in real world speed.

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    MROOGLE this, been discussed by me and many:rolleyes:
    We have 3 - 11"MBA's with OWC 360 SSD's in the family, and I am doing 4 others for friends, who were suitably impressed. They are wicked fast, and have all performed flawlessly, with zero issues. The June issue of MacLife has a great article of installing an SSD in a MBP, the steps are the same for a MBA with an Aura Pro, especially helpful is the cloning to an external drive and back again, as there are no enclosures to encase the Aura;)

6. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I'm also considering importing a 256GB, albeit in a different way. Thinking of buying a 256GB 13" MBA from ebay, and switching the SSD's, then selling on the 13" as a 128GB MBA, hoping the price difference is less than the £256 apple charges to go between 128GB to 256GB. I'd only do this is if I could get one for a decent price on auction. Also going to give it a couple of weeks as if apple release a new air, the child in me will want to upgrade to the latest!

7. joyjang macrumors newbie

is ti U?

there was Dave in January who try to change SSD with OWC but he said there were some error.
    is it U?
    What happened and how did U fix?

((http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1074714&page=2
    Jan 21, 2011, 07:57 AM #37
    DaveOZ
    macrumors regular

Seems my excitement was short lived. The drive is now dead and my Air will not boot at all. Not even using the system USB.

Works fine when I put the original drive back in.

Not happy anymore. ))

8. Techyogi macrumors newbie

I have had a 240,360, and now 3 480s. Same symptoms.

I applaud owc's customer service but these drives are "bleeding edge tech" according to apple. Not one has lasted 6 months before it started to beach ball, and on the next restart never came up - grey screen, and disk utilities via the recovery USB stick didn't even see a drive. Owc tells me they have a safety feature that does this under conditions that may cause damage, but all I ever do is use this for work, close the lid to sleep, and bring it home. Repeat.

Not sure if the above is true, and if it is it's only a feature for them so they can salvage these when they're inevitably returned for rma. My use case it standard and these should be far, far more reliable than they are.

My latest drive died last night. Same issue. Two months after rma. I only found this thread researching the issue yet again. Sigh.

Caveat emptor. If I didn't need the space I'd have abandoned this months ago. So far all it's done is make me grateful for my time capsule.

9. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

So I go through all of the speed issues with mine, and now I'm hearing they last 6 months or so before beanchballing all the time??

I hope that's not true.

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Nope, NOT me, 30 installs with no issues, call OWC's customer service, they'll make it right:cool:

11. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

You have 30 Macbook Airs or you had to reinstall the OS 30 times?