Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I want to get this: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/PerformanceRAID

I have 2 drives that I mirror, with superduper.

If I put those 2 drives, identical WDBlacks, will they show up as 2 drives, or will the enclosure try to do a raid and erase everything?

anyone have experience with this enclosure? Or, recommend an enclosure for dual 3.5" drives that will allow each drive to be independent?

----------

Also, I guess my problem is is that I have the 2TB drives, about 75% full, and no way to get them from one to the other. If I take them out of my Mac Pro (which I'm selling), I have no idea what will happen if I put them in a dual enclosure.

Do I erase one, and then Raid1 the other to it? Do I have to erase them both, set up the raid1 (or is it in the firmware) and then copy everything back over? I don't have a way of doing that.

How do I get 2 drives to be 2 volumes in one enclosure? OR, how do I safely take 2 drives that are mirrored, and turn them into a raid1 with that OWC enclosure without losing it all??

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I want to get this: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/PerformanceRAID

I have 2 drives that I mirror, with superduper.

If I put those 2 drives, identical WDBlacks, will they show up as 2 drives, or will the enclosure try to do a raid and erase everything?

anyone have experience with this enclosure? Or, recommend an enclosure for dual 3.5" drives that will allow each drive to be independent?

----------

Also, I guess my problem is is that I have the 2TB drives, about 75% full, and no way to get them from one to the other. If I take them out of my Mac Pro (which I'm selling), I have no idea what will happen if I put them in a dual enclosure.

Do I erase one, and then Raid1 the other to it? Do I have to erase them both, set up the raid1 (or is it in the firmware) and then copy everything back over? I don't have a way of doing that.

How do I get 2 drives to be 2 volumes in one enclosure? OR, how do I safely take 2 drives that are mirrored, and turn them into a raid1 with that OWC enclosure without losing it all??

Don't sell your cheese grater before you've transferred your data to the new system.

Don't.

Only after you've verified that it's all safely on the new system (do a recursive MD5 or SHA1 binary comparison) should you erase and sell the old system.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Don't sell your cheese grater before you've transferred your data to the new system.

Don't.

Only after you've verified that it's all safely on the new system (do a recursive MD5 or SHA1 binary comparison) should you erase and sell the old system.

There is no new system. I am buying an empty enclosure and putting these 2 drives into it. The 2 drives are media libraries etc, no OS or apps.

That's why I am in a jam because I have to take 1/both out, put it in the enclosure, and then know what will happen when I put in the other, and OWC doesn't have any info on if the dual enclosure can just act as 2 volumes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.