OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Dual-Bay not being recognized

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aliensporebomb, Apr 26, 2013.

1. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

So, I've got the dual bay system that has the jumpers that allow for individual drive operation (preferred method for me), JBOD or RAID.

There's even a little decal inside the case that shows the proper dip switch positions for all 3 options so I know it's this model (this is pertinent later in this post).

I've been using this case for over a year without issues, with two 1.5 TB Seagate 7200 rpm SATA drives.

All of a sudden, the thing starts having problems recognizing one of the drives. I suspected a drive was going out perhaps.

It kept claiming one drive could not be repaired and to back up all data (impossible because it was not mounting) and reformat.

I've tried 3 different FW800 cables and two different iMacs with Firewire 800 ports and it appeared as if it was a drive problem.

So I contacted the OWC people and their tech support person indicated that this drive case never supported individual operation at all even though the dip switches for that were plainly there.

They claim it only ever was supposed to work for JBOD or RAID. Unfortunately that doesn't really help me at all as I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't able to do individual volume operation (which it did for over a year prior).

I did reformat the "bad" drive in another Mac since it wouldn't even mount on mine and tried to copy data over to it - it took about 30 gigs and failed again so I still suspect a bad drive.

Next up will be a new drive mechanism for position 2 to see if I can get that to work.

Anyone else have one of these things? It seems decent enough but might be a total turkey. I noticed when I'm running single drive operation it runs MUCH faster than it did with twin drives. Maybe I should just get one large drive.

2. boatcapt macrumors member

Curious about this as well. I was going to purchase this enclosure and use it as individual drives also.