OWC Mercury Elite Dual - not sleeping under FW800 help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by avsfan, Apr 30, 2009.

1. avsfan macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I just bought a refurbished OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual (with the 924 chipset) and can't figure out how to get it to sleep while connected under FW800. Under USB this operates as I expect: shut down the Mac, the drive shuts down.

Under FW800 though, nothing. It doesn't matter if I eject, suspend, shutdown the drives just keep spinning (x2 WD Caviar Green).

This is connected to an 09 Mini but also tested with an 08 Macbook Pro with the same results.

I've checked with OWC, Apple and the Apple Store as well as numerous boards with no luck. Any suggestions are highly welcome.

If anyone has this case and can properly get it to sleep under FW800 I'd like to hear from you! Before I consider any warranty repairs (shipping will kill me being from Canada) I want to know if I'm wasting my time. I may just end up having to leave on 24/7 but ideally would like to have it sleep overnight.

2. avsfan thread starter macrumors newbie

No responses? Nobody using OWC Mercury dual cases out there?

For those interested, I do have a partial answer on this: as long as only ONE drive is in the case, it will suspend fine. It's only when TWO drives are in the case does it ignore suspend requests.

I tried this with a few different drives to ensure it wasn't one particular drive/manufacturer.

It's odd OWC wouldn't alert me to this - my thinking is that it's by design since I've fully verified everything else in the chain.

This isn't a huge deal but just disappointing. I opted for the dual so I could operate with just one enclosure - save chaining FW800 (thus improving performance) drives and one extra power outlet. Looks like this will just be the way it is.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

so what? U gonna let your hard drives run 24/7? I have mine running 24/7 for like a week now since my minidrive enclosure doesn't sleep it, only has a on/off switch.