OWC mercury elite pro hard drive enclsures, & formatting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I just got an enclosure in the mail, & I was reading through it's instructions on formatting & it showed when the enclosure with a drive is plugged in for the 1st time to intialzie the drive,

what if the drive that I put into the enclosure has content on it & is formatted? I am not putting a blank drive into the enclosure, will mac os or disk utility make me erase everything on the drive? I dont want to do this, I am just swapping out a drive into an different enclosure, in this case the OWC enclosure.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. gameface macrumors 6502

If you're just installing an old drive into a new enclosure, no need to format it. Those directions are for installing a bare new drive into the enclosure.

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

what if I dont want to format?

will disk utility make me erase the drive if it is already how I want it? will I be given an option not to format or erase but just start using the drive as it is?

5. gameface macrumors 6502

I assume you replied before seeing my post? No, you only need to format a new drive. If it has stuff on it, install it in the enclosure, plug it in and away you go. No trip into disk utilities is necessary.