OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G Showdown

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I'd like to compare benchmarks and speed tests for the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G and also see what kind of tool you guys use to measure the SSD performance and if I can improve it.
This is my configuration:

Macbook Pro Mid 2012 13.3"
i7 2.9 Ghz.
RAM 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
SSD 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E2620)

Attachments

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Not a good test. BM writes non-compressed data. Sandforce is not good with this data compared to Samsung and Marvel based controllers. You're going to be frustrated with your numbers. Run AJA and you'll peg 500+ read / 500+ write. But you need to create a blank partition to do it as Apple has screwed up the permissions on the volumes to allow a concise speed test from AJA.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
Not a good test. BM writes non-compressed data. Sandforce is not good with this data compared to Samsung and Marvel based controllers. You're going to be frustrated with your numbers. Run AJA and you'll peg 500+ read / 500+ write. But you need to create a blank partition to do it as Apple has screwed up the permissions on the volumes to allow a concise speed test from AJA.
I can't find AJA for MAC anywhere. You have a link?

Found this; http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_KONA_System_Test_v2.app.tar but it doesnt work on my rMBP internal SSD, just any external SSD/HDD I plug in.

tninety

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Banned!
You mean non-compressible data...

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
You don't need to create a separate partition if you launch Aja as super user.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
You don't need to create a separate partition if you launch Aja as super user.
So, get root in a shell and use 'open' command and it'll work? Thanks for info if it does. Can't test right now. On 10.6.8 desktop where everything still works.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
So, get root in a shell and use 'open' command and it'll work? Thanks for info if it does. Can't test right now. On 10.6.8 desktop where everything still works.
I opened it in Terminal, navigated into the the Aja system test folder in Applications and ran the executable with 'su ./' in front of the file name. Can't remember the exact file name ATM as not at the Mac to check

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I opened it in Terminal, navigated into the the Aja system test folder in Applications and ran the executable with 'su ./' in front of the file name. Can't remember the exact file name ATM as not at the Mac to check
Navigate to directory and:

sudo AJA\ System\ Test.app/Contents/MacOS/AJA\ System\ Test &

does it. Thanks.
500.1 Read
507.2 Write
70% full OWC 6G Original 311ABBF0 FW