OWC Mercury Pro SSD and DataDoubler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ImaITGuy, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ImaITGuy macrumors newbie

Just ordered a new 120GB OWC Mercury Pro SSD with the DataDoubler kit for my 2011 13" MBP.

Currently been running a Crucial C300 64GB SSD without any issues at all and its extremely fast. Connects at Sata3 6Gbps without any problems that many have stated here on the forums.

I understand that I may be a few weeks early before the wave of the new Sandforce chip driven models come out, but the OWC has been given rave reviews on every site and doesnt suffer from drive bloat slow down that alot of comparable drives have shown.

Going to put the stock 320GB HDD on the DD but was wondering if anyone has a preference of an external enclosure I could put the DVD drive into and use via USB in the event I would ever need it?

Have seen many topics about removing the Optical drive altogether and never thought twice about it, but the more I think back to my Dell laptop days... I recall using the DVD drive for nothing more than ripping a redbox movie to the hard drive. I have never used it on my MBP so my opinion has changed to be in the camp of those that say Down with the Optical Bay!

2. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

OWC has a month or 3 ETA on releasing an enclosure for the SuperDrive with their Datadoubler. If you want to wait, perhaps you could buy it off them separately.

3. ImaITGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, So I may be a little early... explains why I couldnt find any on my own.

Thanks for the info

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Hi, have you experience any issue with the OWD SSD? I am about to buy one, and would like to know your feedback. Thanks!