Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aminadab

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Portland, Oregon
I've searched the forums and haven't come up with an answer to my question. I figure this is because I lack the keywords to pull up what I'm after; I don't know what I'm talking about. I apologize if this is redundant.

I'm trying to mount (1) 3.5" and (1) 2.5" SSD drive in the lower optical drive bay. OWC makes the proper mount that allows the two to sit underneath the optical drive. I use the optical drive frequently and want to keep it in my machine.

So, I'm left with three drives (Optical Drive, the 3.5" and the 2.5") and two SATA connections. It looks like there is a SATA Y cable; should I go this route? Or, does this introduce bottleneck issues? If so, is there some cable that I could throw down to hook up to one of my PCIe slots?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You can "Y" the SATA power cable, but you cannot do that for the data cable. You will have to run a additional SATA data cable from a drive bay or PCIe card up to the optical bay for the 3rd drive.

-howard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.