OWC NetList RAM Delay....Now What

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MrPDaddyHimself, Jan 24, 2008.

1. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

I received the following email. I really wanted the NetList RAM. Can anyone verify that they have bought and are currently using the Qualified RAM without issue? I could be convinced to switch but even Feb 3 is earlier than my MP will arrive. But, should I be concerned that there are flaws or issues currently with the RAM they have?

Thank you for your recent order of 8.0GB Netlist / OWC Mac Pro PC6400 DDR2 800MHz ECC FB-DIMM Matched Upgrade Kit.

Although we had expected to ship your order by this time, due to ongoing delays at Netlist - this product still remains unavailable. Netlist notified us late last night that a key component required for their build was determined to be defective. This Netlist component problem has now pushed their ETA for delivering these Mac Pro 800MHz modules back about 10 days. Assuming there are no additional delays, we now expect to be able to ship this Netlist product by approximately February 3rd.

As an alternative, we have been shipping our OWC Qualified 800MHz Mac Pro Memory kits since January 10th. OWC has been a leading supplier of Mac Pro memory going back to August of 2006 and these modules are built to the highest quality standards with the best components and including full compliance with Mac Pro qualification requirements. In addition, all these modules are put through actual Mac Pro system testing. As with all OWC brand memory, this top quality product is backed by our Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty as well.

The Netlist memory kit OWC64FB2GD8GBK currently on backorder has a cost of $659.00.

The equivalent OWC Qualified memory Kit OWC64FB2MPK08GB is available for $439.00 and current availability would enable this product to ship within the next 4-5 days.

We will keep your order as is unless you decide to change to the OWC memory or cancel your order. No charge has been made to your credit card. As a policy, OWC does not make any charge until an order is ready to physically ship.

We sincerely apologize for any and all inconvenience this may have caused.

For more information or to request a change to your order, you may reply to this e-mail or contact us during business hours at 800-275-4576. If you would like your order to remain in queue without change, no reply is necessary.

Thank you
    Other World Computing

2. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

Two choices:
    1. Go with the cheaper memory.
    2. Wait

I am going with option 2.

3. ComeOnDieYoung macrumors member

I think I am too, the Netlist has the better Heat-Spreader right?

4. zdobson macrumors 6502

The qualified has the same heat-spreader as the RAM that Apple uses. Look through the other threads and you'll see most people think the Netlist isn't worth the extra money.

5. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Why is Netlist better? Because it costs more? If ram works when you put it in and it doesn't overheat then its good ram. Period.

Netlist is a rippoff.

6. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

You might want to give transintl.com a try. They answer the phone in 3 rings
    and got to a human being who can answer all your questions. Their other
    products are cool too, esp. their hard drive enclosures.

PS. I ordered 4 x 4 GB sticks, they are on back ordered as well, but the price
    is much better than OWC's NetList's 4 x 4 GB, so I used the savings to get 2 HDD enclosures

7. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

because something costs more doesn't mean its better, the higher price can be down to a variety of factors that don't directly affect the actual performance.

but from what i read the netlist ram heats up a bit more than is liked. the owc ram has been tested and works fine.

8. commentarycrew macrumors newbie

I just bought a Mac Pro and I was planning on buying the certified RAM from OWC too, WEAK! But reading your guy's responses, I might just get the qualified ones. Thanks guys:)
    Why are the 2GB modules cheaper than the 1GB?

9. MrPDaddyHimself thread starter macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

Given that the OWC Netlist RAM has obvious problems, thus the delivery date being pushed back, should I be concerned at all about the Quality RAM from OWC? Can anyone verify that they are already using an 8 GB set of the Qualified without issues to help ease my concerns?

10. triesto macrumors newbie

Something is not right with this online store. On Mon., Jan. 21, 2008, I ordered OWC64FB2MPK08GB 8.0GB Mac Pro Memory (2GB x 4) ECC 800MHz with a price tag of $399 and the next day I received the following email:

"Due to a backorder indicated by our site for item OWC64FB2MPK08GB, we estimate this order will ship on or before Friday, Jan. 25 2008. This shipping date estimate is based on the currently available information and is for reference only."

Until today, they haven't processed the order. I checked their site and I found surprisingly the price for OWC64FB2MPK08GB is $439. I'm not sure what is next:

1. Commit to the $399 price and process the order.
    2. Deduct the new $439 price and process the order.
    3. Cancel the order due to the price increase.

I'm afraid of the last option. I don't want to enter a new cycle of backorder.

11. oban14 macrumors 6502a

You'll be fine - if you keep your order open, they'll ship it and charge you 399. That's what they did for me.

12. caeneal macrumors member

I, too, ordered RAM from OWC and it's not yet in stock. I called today and was told that they anticipate a shipment coming in in the next two days or so.

We're too accustomed to instant shipping, but the delays seem to me to just be normal problems with a new system release. Just be patient and enjoy the new machines with their stock 2GB RAM.

Now, if they take much longer....:eek:

13. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I am also waiting on OWC to ship my 8gb of ram. I didn't order the netlist. The funny thing is their site keeps saying "Ships in 1 day". OK, I ordered it like last week.

14. sirris101 macrumors member

I'm in the exact same boat. It was supposed to ship last week. Called them and dude was like, "we've got the RAM, we're just trying to get our orders straight". I have to admit my experience with OWC hasn't been great thus far.

15. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

LOL. That is EXACTLY what he told me. Even said it would definitely ship on Monday. That came and went.

16. snagitseven macrumors member

I ordered my OWC 4x2mb on 1/17. I have a UPS tracking number - it's on a truck scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Now all I need is my ordered Mac Pro w/8800GT to put them in.

I've purchased memory from OWC in the past and all have worked just fine.

17. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I spoke too soon. Just checked my order status again. SHIPPED. Can't wait.

18. FastMan macrumors member

OK, what do you guys think. I was going to get the qualified 4X2 for $399. Didn't move fast enough. Got back from an out of town trip to find it's gone up to $439.

So the question is: order it at that price now, out of fear that the next price move will be up,,, or wait a bit for the price to come back down? I have time, as my mac pro doesn't arrive till the end of Feb. What's the smart money think? Not a huge big deal, 40 bucks. More about winning the game. ;)

19. sirris101 macrumors member

Me too. Just shipped.

20. MrPDaddyHimself thread starter macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

Changed my order today to 16GB Qualified from OWC. Heck, for $200 more I might as well max out those slots with all brand spanking new matched pairs! And, from what i can tell after reading over 100 posts, the Qualified should be just fine. By the way, its shipped already and due here Wednesday. Ofcourse the mac won't be here until Feb20th. :(

21. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

I wouldn't wait, unless you can wait for a long time. The price is only going to go up before coming down. I ordered 4 x 4 GB from transintl.com and one day later the price went up by $50. I called them today to ask about shipment, they said it was delayed from Jan 28th to Feb 4th. No biggy for me cause my MP won't be here until the end of the month. They also told me that the price is going to go up AGAIN due to high demand and short supply. I like this company so far, if you call them, you'll get a human being in 3-4 rings without having to go through multiple prompts.

22. triesto macrumors newbie

Good news !

The items has been shipped at night with the same original price $399.

For sure OWC's guys are not managing their business as we get used from other online stores, but they definitely provide a winner low price/GB ratio. Just go for it.