OWC nMP teardown with pics

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by elvisizer, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvisizer macrumors 6502

http://blog.macsales.com/22108-new-mac-pro-2013-teardown

pics aren't as big as I'd like, but it does confirm a thing or 2:
    1. cpu is socketed and is not de-capped. upgrades look physically doable.
    2. gpu cards are not soldered in, we'll see if apple or anyone else offers gpu upgrades.

also, really doesn't look like there's many internal braces/components/fasteners. hopefully it'll actually be fairly easy to work on! :)

2. ArtMoony macrumors newbie

Neat, but I still don't want one.

****Edit: Want = Can't use, can't justify, doesn't meet any of my needs.

3. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

Interesting, thanks. Those daughterboard connectors had me wondering, now we know. Different than I expected, they look like 10x32 and they're all the same.

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

As I would expect from Apple, very nice looking components all around, inside and out.

I remember the first time I popped open the optical bay in my MP5,1 and saw that Apple thoughtfully provided 4 spare screws for the empty bay. And the screws were installed into threaded holes, not simply put in a little plastic dime bag, subsequently to be tossed in some drawer and forgotten about forever. It's such a little thing to be impressed about, but just shows their attention to detail in manufacturing.

5. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

It still looks like the CPU is screwed down into the socket though (same as the original photos from Apple showed), and not the typical tension lever. I’d like to see how many people damage CPUs trying to do this swap.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.