OWC or Apple Replacement Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LarryJoe33, Mar 3, 2018.

1. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

My new (1.5 years old) replacement battery from Amazon is coming up as service battery. It really is discharging quickly and I just attributed it to these machines not managing power well.

So maybe I got what I paid for. I got it off Amazon from one of the many options. Not the cheapest in go the options but not the most. I remember laboring over the choice and reading reviews. I thought I made a good choice.

So maybe it's time to try the OWC NuPower battery for $104 that is often recommended here? That said, I believe Apple will replace it for $129. I can surely handle it, but why not go with Apple for $25 more. Does Apple "condition" it the way OWC reccomends?

2. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

So it looks like from my research here, the top batteries for self install are from OWC or iFixit. Any experiences from either of these two?

3. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Just bite the bullet and get the official, warranted Apple battery.

4. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Yeah, I’m going to bring it in today. Hopefully you don’t need a genius appointment for this.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2018 ---
    Does anyone know if you need an appointment for a new battery?

5. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I made one a couple years ago for an iPhone battery replacement. I just noticed that my "Service Battery" indicator is back on my MacBook pro. It has been on before then gone away for a few weeks. Guess I'll need to schedule an appointment to get replaced. Will be an expensive weekend when I go out of town to do it, since I also need to get my car serviced.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I'd try Apple first, for the "official" battery.
    If you can't get it from them, I'd try the ifixit.com battery.

7. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Just left the Apple store. They don’t stock the battery for my 2011. They would have to order it and they also insisted on doing tests first. I lost patience and don’t want to go back. I went with ifixit

8. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Talk about disappointing, I went with iFixit based on reviews and recommendations here. Got the battery Friday. Installed it, conditioned it (charge, discharge, charge). Battery drops from 65% straight to 7% consistently. I am on four cycles of it doing this and the design capacity per coconut is down to 85% of original. SMC PRAM reset.

I thought I was paying a premium for a quality battery. What a piece of garbage. iFixit has been unresponsive to boot.
    My Amazon battery is back in and I am out $100 bucks at the moment. Buyer beware of iFixit.

Moral of story, should have just had Apple do it (which I will now).
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2018 ---
    This is the battery iFixit sent me, just at a $60 premium:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Macbook-020-6547-661-5229-661-5557/dp/B00YBVX95C

9. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Thanks Larry for the report on troubles with the ifixit battery.
    I had suggested them in the past, will not do so again.

From now on, my advice will be:
    GET AN APPLE BATTERY FIRST, IF YOU CAN.
    Only if you cannot do that, then look for a 3rd-party replacement...

10. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Yeah, thanks, iFixit came recommended by few posters in addition to you. I just wish they would reply to my ticket or answer the phone at this point. There is not mechanism to start a return on their site.

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I had heard a lot of good things about iFixit. Thanks for posting your experience here. I've had several family members get battery replacements from no-name places and they were not happy with them. Apple it is.

12. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Maybe I just caught them at the wrong time. Their battery is a "replacement" battery not OEM. I splurged for what I thought was the real thing or at least a quality replacement. My experience was like one of those negative reviews on Amazon for the cheap batteries. I researched the battery they sent me and it is in fact the $30 battery from Amazon above.

I called and finally got through. They sent me a return label. The woman on the phone offered to ship me a replacement but I learned my lesson and wasted enough time. Apple store it is.

13. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502

I can recommend Floureon battery for this laptop;
    MacBook's Pro 13 A1278 from 2009 to 2012 they have the same battery model A1322

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Every battery is a lottery, some are duds even from reputable suppliers, this is a dud simple as that.

15. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Understood, but I'm not giving iFixit a second shot especially since their battery is a $30 Amazon battery. In fact, Amazon Prime has a much better return policy and process and much better and responsive customer service. I would rather spin the lottery with Amazon, but as I said, I will go with Apple, as their warranty and return policy is even better. $104 for iFixit's battery is a premium and should not be as much of a lottery IMO. $129 for Apple is a no brainer.

16. LarryJoe33, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018

LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

So.......I walked into the Apple Store yesterday without an appointment and was told I needed to make a Genius appointment online and for that visit, it would just be a diagnostic and then result in the order of the battery. I pleaded with them to just have someone order the part to save me a trip and told them that no matter the diagnosis I was going to have them do the battery. On top of all this, the wait time for the first appointment to just look at my machine is over a week and longer at other stores. I made an appointment.

But against my better judgement and my impatience, I thought I would give the only other recommended non-Apple sourced battery a shot. It's the NewerTech NuPower at OWC. I ended up finding it on B&H for $79 shipped (vs. $104 plus shipping at OWC). Ordered it yesterday and it is coming today. B&H is solid and their returns are easy. I'll give this one a ride and if I am not happy I will return it and keep the Apple appointment.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._nwtbap13mbu65w_apple_macbook_13_unibody.html

17. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

Maybe I'm missing something, but $79 is for the MacBook battery (your link). The one for a 2011 13" MacBook Pro is $94.25.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127255-REG/newertech_nwtbap13mbu65v_batt_f_13_mb.html
    Did you order the correct one?

18. LarryJoe33, Mar 16, 2018

LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Crap, you are right, but they both have the same manufacturer part number and the same B&H part number? And this is the same part number as the OWC battery for my machine??

I guess I will see when I get home tonight. I can't believe I f'd that up. I just though the description was wrong. Not the Macbook part (I totally overlooked that), the model years 2009 to mid 2010. This why I matched it up to OWC part numbers and it's the same. I either found a deal or it's going back.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127255-REG/newertech_nwtbap13mbu65v_batt_f_13_mb.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._nwtbap13mbu65w_apple_macbook_13_unibody.html

OWC Same too??

battery.JPG

19. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

The OWC Manufacturer number (NWTBAP13MBU65V) does match the B&H Manufacturer number (NWTBAP13MBU65V) for a MacBook Pro 13", 2009 to Mid 2012. Unfortunately, I think you might have ordered a Manufacturer number NWTBAP13MBU65W from B&H not a NWTBAP13MBU65V. :(

20. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Yup, I am an idiot. It may be the same specs in terms of power, but nothing lines up. So not like me. Nothing to play with on a Friday night, going back. I have a genius appointment on Monday hopefully that goes smoothly and they order me an "official" battery for $129 installed.

21. JPack, Mar 16, 2018

JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

The ONLY place you can buy an OEM battery outside of Apple is from Rewa.

http://www.rewatechnology.com/batte...78-a1322-mid-2009-mid-2012-oem-new-12738.html

Even then, Rewa doesn't always stock the OEM part.

Anybody else headquartered outside of China/Taiwan doesn't have access to Apple OEM parts. Apple doesn't sell the OEM parts to anybody but themselves and ASPs. The English-speaking websites like iFixit, OWC, and B&H simply don't have the SE Asia connections like Rewa does in order to source the real OEM part.

You're wasting your time (and money) with iFixit, OWC, and B&H. They're often selling B-grade batteries that have been rejected. Hence your 65% -> 7% experience. You might as well buy from AliExpress as the sellers source the same B-grade batteries.

22. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Understood. I’ve heard this several times. Ordering the wrong battery is probably a blessing. I’ll start the process Monday at the Apple store. It’s just hard to believe that it’s this hard to get an OEM or equivalent battery for a 7 year old machine. Kudos to Apple for putting a stranglehold on their suppliers.

23. prisstratton macrumors 6502a

prisstratton

Please let us know if you are successful getting a new battery from Apple. I would be most interested seeing as I was just told by them that my MBP (see my sig.) is obsolete and they cannot supply a replacement. Which now leaves me wondering what to do, as everything out there sounds like it is not very good. I tried the Rewa Technology website as suggested by @JPack and the grade of battery for my model is Grade A, which is their lowest. So, another hope gone.

24. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

I will report back, but this would suck if true for me. Considering I have called Apple support, given them the serial number and have been given instructions to take it into the store. On top of that, I made two trips with my machine and told them I needed a battery and was instructed to come in for a diagnostic before they could order me a battery.

25. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Last night I was able to source an OEM Apple battery for my 2012 15" non-retina from an eBay seller, it was listed as new. The reviews are good for this one. It's shipping from Brooklyn and I'm near Albany, NY so I should have it in a couple days even though eBay estimates it'll arrive after an item I ordered at the same time that's shipping from California.

Here is their listing for your Mac: New OEM Genuine A1322 Battery Apple Macbook Pro 13" A1278 2009 2010 2011 2012 | eBay