OWC or Crucial?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Sep 22, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I searched but didn't see any real direct comparisons between the two.

Going to upgrade my soon-to-be-here i7 MBP to 8 GB using one of these two manufacturers.

Which would you choose and why?

I heard a rumor that Crucial (Micron) is the supplier for Apple's factory RAM, would love to use the identical stuff Apple uses if possible.

TIA.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've bought from both, choosing whichever is less expensive at the time. Both are good, reputable companies selling a good product.

3. SpudGT macrumors member

I am using Crucial RAM in an older MacBook Pro and a new i7 iMac with no problems. No experience with OWC.

The RAM that came out of my older MacBook Pro was 'Hynix" ... no sign of Micron markings on any of the parts.

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I have been using RAM from Crucial for as long as I can remember... probably 10 years.

I have their 8GB in my 17" MBP with i7 no problems at all.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Micron (Crucial) is one of a few suppliers of RAM for Apple notebooks and desktops. I upgraded my MBP to 8GB using Crucial RAM, and sure enough the RAM coming out of the MacBook had identical markings to the stuff going in.
    However, I've also seen hynix and at least one other brand of RAM that slips me at the moment, that was factory installed in MacBooks and MBPs.

I haven't tried OWC, but the Crucial RAM I bought works well and I would highly recommend it.