OWC or Drobo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The.316, Sep 14, 2011.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Im looking to get a external hd case to set up some TB external drives I have, but Im not sure which one to go with. I was thinking either the:

OWC Mercury Elite Pro

or

Drobo

I want a raid setup, and this being my first time setting one up, I didnt know which of the two to go with. Thoughts? Or if anyone has any other suggestions, Im all ears.

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

How familiar are you with RAID?

If you don't know anything about RAID, do some research.

The Drobo doesn't use real RAID, it's mainly for complete newbies that don't really understand how and why RAID works. It would also be useful if you have a bunch of different drives that you want to throw together into a storage pool.

The OWC will provide you with a real RAID setup, something that you should definitely research and learn about before deciding to buy it.

There are a lot of factors to consider when designing a storage setup, and you haven't said anything about why you require this kind of setup and what you are planning on doing with it. Neither of those are bad choices, but they both are very different and one may be better for you than the other, depending on how you're going to use it.

3. mzd macrumors 6502a

depending on how early your Mac is, OWC Mercury Elite won't boot with Firewire, if that is a concern to you. it will boot over USB2.