Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new external - either an OWC or G-Tech model. This chat isn't to discuss which is better, but...

does anyone know of a place in CANADA where I can buy one?

I realize those companies ship to Canada, but we get raked over the coals with duty charges. Add the duty to lovely taxes and exchange and it really hurts the pocketbook.

I know Apple ships the g-techs, but i'm looking for alternatives to find the best deal.

Also, does anyone know of any rebates for either of the above? for either the US or Canada?

Thanks in advance.
Keebler

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Keebler said:
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new external - either an OWC or G-Tech model. This chat isn't to discuss which is better, but...

does anyone know of a place in CANADA where I can buy one?

I realize those companies ship to Canada, but we get raked over the coals with duty charges. Add the duty to lovely taxes and exchange and it really hurts the pocketbook.

I know Apple ships the g-techs, but i'm looking for alternatives to find the best deal.

Also, does anyone know of any rebates for either of the above? for either the US or Canada?

Thanks in advance.
Keebler

Hi.

I emailed some of the BC/Alberta based G-Tech resellers and they were quoting higher $ and longer lead-times than Apple.ca's online store. I would have preferred a 'true' Canadian supplier, but time was ticking so I got my 250Gb G-Drive-Q from Apple in the end. Nice drive at FW400 on my iMac and will handle my eventual upgrade to a PowerMac (FW800 or eSATA connection).

I did a mini review for our local site, just the other day.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
thanks

Danksi said:
Hi.

I emailed some of the BC/Alberta based G-Tech resellers and they were quoting higher $ and longer lead-times than Apple.ca's online store. I would have preferred a 'true' Canadian supplier, but time was ticking so I got my 250Gb G-Drive-Q from Apple in the end. Nice drive at FW400 on my iMac and will handle my eventual upgrade to a PowerMac (FW800 or eSATA connection).

I did a mini review for our local site, just the other day.

Thanks Danski. I appreciate the feedback. It seems that is our best option. It wouldn't be if G-tech could label their product as 'gift' for me :) lol that would eliminate the duty at least.

Thanks.
Keebler

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Keebler said:
Thanks Danski. I appreciate the feedback. It seems that is our best option. It wouldn't be if G-tech could label their product as 'gift' for me :) lol that would eliminate the duty at least.

Thanks.
Keebler

Unfortunately I don't think 'gifting' to us lot North of the boarder was a requirement under NAFTA. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.