OWC Price increase (again)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Toups, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Toups macrumors regular

Has anyone else noted an increase in the Apple qualified RAM from OWC a.k.a www.macsales.com

In the last two weeks I have watched as the 8GB (4x2GB chips) has increased from $399 to $419 and now today I noticed its at $439 for the same memory. I was about to hit the order button then noticed the 10% total increase and wanted to make sure others see the same, and possibly find an alternative supplier.

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Man... i should have ordered when I had the chance.

3. Toups thread starter macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly, just did not want RAM sitting around without a machine to put it into

4. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

crucial.com prices have gone up also, and it wasnt due to cookies on my mac when on their site. Probably to do with the recession in the markets

5. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

6. designer22 macrumors member

Seems like the shipping delays and price increases are the norm right now. My order at DataMemorySystems has been delayed over a week, and the price has increased as well....between waiting for the MacPro and the RAM, patience seems to be a huge virtue right now!

7. eviltobz macrumors member

my general plan, or so i keep trying to convince myself, is to stick to the standard 2gig for a while and upgrade the ram further down the line to get both the general more ram speed increase along with the quad channel increase. just going up to the standard mp config from my 2x2ghz, 1.5gb g5 will be a nice upgrade and an extra speed boost later on would give me an extra feel good factor. seeing memory getting more expensive at the moment certainly helps me want to stick to this plan :)

8. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I picked up my first set of 2x2 gigs before my Mac arrived, when OWC had it for $199 (Steal!), then a few days later I went back and picked up another 2x2, but this time it was $220, so I jumped on it, and I'm very happy that I did, seeing the increases now... (the 2nd shipment is still "waiting to acquire inventory" though...)

-Bryan

9. caeneal macrumors member

I doubt that it has anything to do with the general stock markets. Probably just a normal supply-demand thing now that everyone has or is soon to get their new 2008 mac pros. If you're concerned about the cost increase, just wait a while and make do (if you can) with the stock 2gb. I'm sure that after the surge of new machines passes by, that the price will drop for the 800mhz ram.

10. zdobson macrumors 6502

What seems more likely?

1) They're not selling the exact same product they started with.
    2) They wanted to get a jump on orders, so they made it available before they realized exactly what it would cost them.