OWC Pro SSD vs. OWC RE SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ryanide, Sep 8, 2010.

1. ryanide macrumors 6502

I bought the OWC 120GB Pro version for my MacBook Pro and I love it. Best upgrade I have made! Now, I want to replace the boot drive in my 2006 Mac Pro with one. I have all my data on separate drives from my OS/Applications drive, so that should be easy.

My question is whether or not I need the RE version with the 28% Over Provisioning or will the Pro version with the 7% Over Provisioning be just fine?
    I'm not going to do a RAID, so does this make any difference? Any additional advantage to this, and is it worth the extra cost?

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The more over provisioning the more the improvement in reliability and should improve performance. However for most people who will be using it for maybe 2 years before they upgrade it shouldn't matter.

3. Executor macrumors member

It is my understanding that over provisioning affects reliability but not necessarily performance. Anyone care to confirm? I intend to use the drives for less than a year so the extended warranty on the RE drives is irrelevant. However I am concerned the RE drives are faster, specially in RAID. If that was the case (Again I am not certain) I will opt for the RE editions regardless of price difference.

4. ryanide thread starter macrumors 6502

capacity and price

120GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD (7% Over Provisioning) $314.99 3yr warr

100GB Mercury Extreme Pro RE SSD (28% Over Provisioning) $369.99 5yr warr
    (20GB less space + $55 more)

I don't know, seems like the Pro version is a better deal. :confused:

5. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

6. ryanide thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Sounds like the Pro is fine. That's what I suspected.
    :D