OWC RAM - A very happy chappy

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by urchinboy, Mar 14, 2008.

1. urchinboy macrumors member

In case anyone was still in doubt about the value of this stuff for everyone in the UK...

I just took delivery of 8gb of RAM from OWC for my new mac pro for the ludicrous sum of £223 inclusive of shipping. Plus no requirement to pay anything additional on delivery. Crucial are charging £610 for the same and I'm sure to get it from Apple would require me to sell at least one of my arms. Took 4 days from order to delivery. I am one happy customer.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. urchinboy thread starter macrumors member

FedEx International Priority. $32.33. Good value I think, to have something flown overnight to you. I'm fairly sure it's cheaper than the US Postal option at OWC too.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don't get too excited with not having paid any VAT, I think FedEx like to hit you with it later on by post.

None the less, still very good value.

5. urchinboy thread starter macrumors member

I felt like there had to be a catch. Oh Well. As you say, still very very good value though.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

It looks like your ram parcel slipped through the net .... :)

Normally if there is vat to pay, you get a letter from HM customs asking for the required amount. Once this is paid (and only then) is your parcel delivered.
    I think you can relax .. :cool:

At least this has been my experience.

7. urchinboy thread starter macrumors member

Lets hope so.

Either way, having been a bit unsure about the possible pitfalls of getting it from the states, I thought I would add my positive experiences to the pile for anyone else in the same situation.

8. Leithen macrumors newbie

Having had a few issues with FedEx, I went for the UPS option - ordered the same 8Gb yesterday, phone call a few moments ago telling me the package would be on tonight's flight - would I like to pay the £50 Tax now by credit card?

All very organised!

9. EVH macrumors member

Damn, I didn't realise they'd charge you!

Oh well, here's hoping mine slips through the net :(