OWC Ram config guide

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by peejack, Feb 4, 2008.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

2. lyricnz macrumors newbie

Posting their content is pretty uncool man. See the notice on the bottom of pages: Copyright 2000-2008 Other World Computing, All Rights Reserved. ?

Post a description, maybe a thumbnail, and link to their content.

3. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

Ut oh! This seems to be in contrast to the tutorial posted on barefeats. I was under the impression that given a pair of 2GB sticks and the stock 1GB sticks that the correct configuration would have the 2GB sticks in slots 1 and 1 of the top and bottom riser, having moved the 1GB sticks to slots 2 and 2. Which was also different from the other thread I saw that had the 1GB sticks on the same riser. Needless to say, I'm a bit confused.

4. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh me too thats why I posted. But lets face it, it's these guys that make it and they must do some serious testing so they have to know what they are talking about right?

5. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

Confused

The Octo comes with 2x1-GB sticks, one in A1 and one in B1. He moved the B1 stick into A2. He then added 2x2-GB sticks to B1 and B2. Confusing to me is that he then said the total RAM is 5 GB. Shouldn't it be 6 GB?

He then added 2x2-GB sticks to A3 and A4 and said, "now the total ram is 9 GB." Shouldn't it be 10 GB?

Do you lose 1-GB when putting the OEM 1-GB sticks into A1 and A2? :confused:

6. Roy macrumors 6502

I think the guy was a little confused. If you think about the 2 ram modules that came with the machine, and you treat them as though they are 512MB each (like in the pre-2008 Mac Pro models) then the 5GB and the 9GB make sense.

He did not say what the size of each module was that he was adding, (but he did say he was going to add 8GB) but when he added the first 2, then he said 5GB, and then added 2 more and said now 9GB. So he added 4 modules that were 2GB each and he screwed up with his thinking that the 2 original modules were 512MB each.

The moral of the story. "Keep your eyes and ears open, your mind alert, and don't believe everything someone says". Other than that, a decent free demo, but I wouldn't paid for it.

Thanks for sharing the link though.

7. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

Roy, thanks. For sure that's what happened.

8. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

So regardless of the confusion about the 512/1gb sticks is what they are saying the right way to do it?

9. Roy macrumors 6502

According to Apple's manual that comes with the Mac Pro (early 2008) (you can download a .pdf copy at Apple) that's the way to do it.

10. zesta macrumors member

I think it makes more sense to put the 4 2GB modules in slots 1 and 2 in both risers, and put the factory 1GB modules in slots 3 and 4 of the top riser. That way, the first memory that is accessed is the slightly faster 2GB modules. Even better, as someone else here suggested, is to fill the bottom slots 3 and 4 with 2 more 1GB modules for a symmetrical total of 12GB.

-Randy

11. Bastich macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm also concerned about this demo going against everything Barefeats is telling us. But then again, they can't even keep their own website running...

B)

12. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

13. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Thanks for the link, this makes it clearer and as I understand it now with only 2 dimms (stock config) you put one in each riser but any more than 2 and you populate the top riser first (in pairs) then the bottom riser (in pairs)

14. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

With 2 pairs, didn't he balance the top and bottom risers with 1 pair in each?

15. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Sorry I meant the link to Apple from Tugger, it explains it quite clearly. I know its probably in the manual but my manual is in the loft ;)

As I understood it before, I thought you balanced the pairs 1 dimm on each riser, but this isnt the case.

16. FastMan macrumors member

Thanks, tugger, as I'm sitting here waiting for my MP (and manual) to arrive, that explains it quite clearly. Base rig comes with two modules, one in riser A slot 1, and one in riser B slot 1. When putting in new pair, take the stock 1g modules out of B, and place it in slot 2 on riser A. Put the new pair in slots 1,2 on riser B. Another new pair would go in slots 3,4 on riser A. A last new pair would fill slots 3,4 on riser B. Seems pretty dang simple.

That said, I'm going to put my four OWC 2g modules in slots 1,2 on both risers A and B, and the stock 1g's in slots 3,4 in riser A, for a total of 10g. And playing too with the idea of getting two more 1g's to balance out.