OWC RAM Quality?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by -tWv-, May 11, 2009.

1. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I am looking at upgrading my memory capacity in my Macbook from 2 GB to 4 GB. I am looking at an upgrade pack from OWC and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with OWC and had any comments on their reliability and quality of products. Thanks

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

OWC is an incredible company. Excellent RAM and price! Most people here buy from OWC or Crucial. Very high quality RAM.

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Have used OWC Ram several times, I'm fixing to use it to upgrade my UMBP. Great stuff.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

There's just tons of threads on this subject. But yeah, OWC sells good ram. I'm using some on this MB right now.

5. mmulin macrumors 6502

Just make sure your are buying the OWC certified RAM. They occasionally also have very low price no-name RAM. I would stay away from those. Usually, you can identify the OWC RAM having the OWC logo in the product list. If available, I still stick to the original Samsung, they offer as well. Though it comes with a slight premium.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I have nothing but positive things to say about OWC and the RAM they sell.

7. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I love OWC I have gone through them for every part I ever needed to keep my G4 running I bought this 1999 sawtooth model I use for 60 bucks at a junk PC recycler and about 600 bucks later its as good or better than a lot of new systems out there. I highly recommend the ram and upgrade processors from them.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have 4GB of OWC's RAM in my unibody MacBook and 4GB from OWC in my wife's Santa Rosa MacBook as well (and 7GB of OWC RAM is also in my Mac Pro).

9. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Ok thank you for the replies by everyone, I am now confident that the OWC RAM i purchased will do its job. I have a unibody macbook, is the installation of new RAM easy?

10. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Very easy, just follow this official Apple guide, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Very easy. :D

12. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Thanks for the link, sounds simple enough, i just don't want to be messing with my computers internal components not knowing what I am doing. Because most likely I will break something.

13. DPB17 macrumors 6502

Have a look at my thread on OWC RAM problems before you buy, here- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=692678 and another thread here - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=696093 , I have just got RAM from Crucial and I have had no issues with their RAM. Also OWC's customer service is very bad when you try to return bad sticks of RAM so be warned.

14. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Thanks for the heads up, because I have already ordered my RAM and it is on its way I cannot order a different brand of RAM but the threads that you gave me suggest ways to fix problems with RAM upgrades so thank you. I will see what happens when it arrives and I install it.

15. DPB17 macrumors 6502

That's too bad you already ordered, but all of those suggestions on how to fix the issues with the RAM didn't work for me. Hopefully you get a pair of good sticks from OWC, keep us updated with any issues that arise. BTW are you installing the RAM yourself?

16. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes, I am going to try to install the RAM myself, I was going to use this guide http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651 that someone else on this thread recommended. It seemed pretty thorough when I looked through it so hopefully I won't have any problems. Did you install it yourself? If you did was it simple enough or difficult?

17. DPB17 macrumors 6502

Did it myself and it was very easy, just followed the video from OWC. Just make sure you discharge the power from the MacBook by taking out the battery and holding the power button down for a few seconds, you don't to damage yourself or the precious MacBook!! And when you put the new RAM in don't be afraid to put some pressure on the sticks to make sure that they are all the way in. Then when you start the computer again just make sure that OS X recognizes the new hardware in the system profiler.

18. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Ok good, and do you by chance have the link to the OWC video?

19. DPB17 macrumors 6502

20. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Awesome, thanks. I will comment on any problems I have after it gets here and I get a chance to install it. I'm expecting for it to come tomorrow but if it does I won't be able to install it until Friday. I really hope I avoid any problems. So you had a problem with the macbook not waking up from sleep when you installed the new RAM?

21. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Oh geez, I just looked at the screws that I will need to take out and they are small! I hope i can find a screwdriver small enough to get them out.

22. DPB17 macrumors 6502

Yeah it was really annoying because it wasn't a constant issue, only happened when I wasn't expecting it. I tried everything but couldn't fix it and I mean EVERYTHING and when I tried to return it OWC said fine but I would have to pay for postage and because they are based in the U.S. and I'm in Ireland I would get charged customs again on the replacement RAM! So I said sod it and bought some new RAM from Crucial which the guy in the Apple store said to buy over Apple branded RAM and I have yet to see any problems! Now all I need is my new harddrive and I'll be happy! - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374

23. DPB17 macrumors 6502

You can buy a toolkit with screwdrivers for those screws from OWC.

24. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah, I saw that in the video, I would rather not wait for something else to ship for me. I remember having a small screwdriver somewhere so I will try that one.

25. DPB17 macrumors 6502

JUst make sure you don't loose any of those tiny screws!