OWC Ram question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theaero, Apr 1, 2012.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

I bought an 8gb kit. 4gb x2 sticks. Can I install this along with the 4gb I already have for 12gb? Thanks!

Also if I Can what is the best way to put the sticks?

2. MiltonThales macrumors member

MiltonThales

iMac Ram Install

You certainly can install 2 x 4 GB in addition to the 2 x 2GB that comes with the iMac. Generally, just install the new sticks in the open slots, after turning the iMac OFF. No need to remove existing as far as I know.

Check with System Profiler after re-starting. It should show how the DIMM cards are paired.

3. viktorlsn macrumors member

yes sure you can ! i will buy from crucial this weekend 2x8gb. but it is better to have the same number of gigs in each slot, for each core the same number of gigs. like, 4 cores 4 slots 4 gigs each.
    good luck !

4. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

I have it like this

[---owc---] [---owc---]
    [--apple--] [--apple--]

Is this the best config? It shows up as all 12gb

5. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I plan on doing the same thing with the 8gb kit I just ordered from crucial. I'm interested in the responses.

6. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

7. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Wrong

----------

You can add the memory in any denomination you like. many people add 2x4GB Dimms to the existing 2x2GB already installed the only memory issue you can have is in an i7 iMac only having the ram in slots 3 and 4 causes a failed boot but that's not the issue raised here.

8. viktorlsn macrumors member

i didnt said you cant, i said its better. yes of course you can put the denomination you like, so that i hav bought an 2x4gib crucial to add my 2x2gib from apple, as I said in my post. who said that to me, that its better to have equal number of gib in all ports was a friend of my who make computers(i dont know the right word for this, english is not my main language), like a thechnichal man, who fix others people computers. he has a big store here in brazil. but if think its wrong ok. ;)

9. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Yep, definitely wrong :D

Equal amounts of ram for each CPU core?

Thats crazy, but if your friend be computer technical man in Brazil I guess okay today.