OWC Ram w/ 17inch macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by romanaz, Aug 31, 2009.

1. romanaz macrumors regular

romanaz

Hi guys,

my shipment of the 6gb ram kit for my 17inch macbook pro from mid-2007 arrived and it appears that I have a faulty 4gb chip in my hands. Has anyone else had any issues with installing a 4gb chip and 2gb chip in this particular model macbook pro, or did I just get lucky with a bad ram chip? The 2gb chip works fine, even with one of the 1gb chips that came with the macbook pro.

2. romanaz thread starter macrumors regular

romanaz

now I'm starting to wonder about their quality control, or just quality period, as the 2gb chip for my iMac is DOA as well... google searches are only bringing up some slight issues with the 4gb ram chip, and mostly involving a nehalem mac pro issues.

this is frustrating, dropping 200 bucks on ram and having only 1 usuable ram stick.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

OWC seems to have fairly good reliability. I would contact them as they are normally extremely helpful, at least in my experiences.

4. romanaz thread starter macrumors regular

romanaz

i got RMA numbers for both and will ship them out tommorow, but its very disappointing that 2/3rds of my 200 dollar order are DOA.

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I bought a 4 GB module from OWC last week for my new MBP and it is fine. I just ordered a second to take it to a full 8GBs.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah it sucks getting bad parts but at least you will get good ones soon.