OWC SAS host controller

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by khollister, Jan 6, 2012.

1. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Just finished installing one of the OWC mini-SAS 6G host adapters along with a Transintl DX4. I have a couple Crucial M4's mounted in the DX4 connected via a Monoprice internal mini-SAS to SATA cable. Also have a Voyager drive dock connected to the external mini-SAS connector via a mini-SAS to eSATA breakout cable.

This gives me up to 4 internal SATA III SSD connections and 4 eSATA connections. Getting about 225-240 MBs writes and 450-485 MBs reads on the M4's.

I am booting from an OWC SATA II SSD mounted in a drive sled in one of the original internal bays.

Since the SAS card is an 8 lane PCIe card, I am getting 6G speeds with both M4's in operation simultaneously.

Great solution if you are not fixated on booting from a 6G drive. I am using the M4's to stream samples in Kontakt for orchestral work.

Hadn't seen anyone on here report using the OWC SAS card, so I thought I would recommend it.

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Great stuff... what card exactly are you using? Can you provide a link?

3. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

4. khollister thread starter macrumors 6502a

khollister

Correct - that's the one.

I had to pay the $55 for the external mini-SAS to eSATA cable since Monoprice only has internal to SATA cables.

5. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Was also looking at this card but the dual external one for use with LTO5 drive and eSATA fanout.

6. chatfan macrumors regular

chatfan

If you have any practical experience to share on that subject, I would love to hear it. Want to connect a HP StorageWorks LTO-5 Ultrium 3280 to get some tapes to put off site.