OWC SSD 6G firmware update... experiences?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terzinator, Mar 26, 2012.

1. terzinator macrumors 6502

Haven't done it yet; just stumbled across it as I was reading about other SSD stuff... anyway, apparently because of Apple's EFI restrictions, the download is an .iso that can't be booted from a USB or external optical drive... has to be from a DVD in the optical bay.

I have an optibay HDD, so I'll have to go and swap back in the optical drive... UNLESS... has anyone tried booting the OWC .iso from an optibay HDD?

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/OWC/SSD/6G/Mac

2. terzinator thread starter macrumors 6502

well, just for grins, I did the live chat thing with the OWC folks...

OWC Matt: [11:03:06 AM] Hello
    [11:03:32 AM] You would need to unfortunately reinstall the optical drive to install the updates

3. canhaz macrumors regular

I would like to know too. Busy downloading the update now, and will let you know how it goes.

The issue for me being massive sleep/hibernation issues. It could be related to 16Gb crucial RAM as well.

4. elliottfamily5 macrumors member

I updated FW about three weeks ago after receiving the same answers from OWC as you did. Put the optical drive back in, DL update and everything went smooth. I moved my Users folder back to SSD and have not pulled optical drive back out yet (although I never use it). I plan on buying a larger SSD in the next couple weeks and once I have the case open, I will probably go back to SSD/HDD combo then.

Was having no issues with SSD prior to FW update, and still no issues after.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you don't have any issues with your computer, I don't see the need to waste your time installing your optical drive to install an update.

6. terzinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, let us know how it goes (or is working). Any idea what this update does/fixes?

7. allieverything macrumors member

I'm using the crucial ram 8gb x 2 with a m4 128ssd by them and I have no issues whatsoever.