OWC SSD and RAM delivered to UK - My experience

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fearoftigers, Sep 7, 2010.

1. fearoftigers macrumors member

Just thought I'd share my experience of ordering RAM and SSD from OWC to the UK for my new Hex Core Mac Pro.

240GB OWC Mercury Pro Extreme
    24GB RAM (3x8GB Modules)
    Icy Dock
    This also includes extra for fast shipping, arrived within two days or so
    £1199.08

Plus vat and duty
    £235.89

Total= £1434.97

Seems to be a couple of hundred cheaper to similar products at Crucial and can't complain about delivery etc. (RAM £1144.44 + SSD £515.81 =£1660.33) plus I've read that OWC drives are better for OS X boot.

So if you're unsure of whether to import, from my experience I'd go for it.

By the way installing both was really easy. I'm a luddite when it comes to the interiors of computers but it's a really simple job.

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Yeah I ordered my SSD and my RAM from OWC (120GB SSD and 16GB of RAM)...and installation was a sinch. I also ordered two 1TB HDs from them at the same time. My total was around $1149 for the SSD, RAM, and both hard drives. I got the 2 day UPS delivery too. It got here in 2 days. I got the Icy Dock as well, just like you, and installation couldn't have been easier. Overall, a great experience.

3. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I also got my SSD from OWC and was impressed by the fast shipping. Ordered Wednesday, arrived with 'Fedex International Priority' Friday morning.

Fearoftigers, did you get it shipped via Fedex or UPS or else?

4. Garamond macrumors regular

I ordered the 480GB SSD from OWC, but suddenly the ETA jumped up to over 50 days (!). I can't wait that long, so instead I just told them to change the order into 4x8GB RAM-sticks.

5. fearoftigers thread starter macrumors member

UPS. I ordered on Saturday and it arrived on Monday. Really impressed with that.