OWC SSD Fail every 3 months!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sticko, Jun 19, 2012.

1. sticko macrumors member

I have 120 GB OWC 3G SSD installed on Macbook Pro 2010 in December 2011, then after 3 months it failed. I called and got the replacement. Then I installed the new one on April 2012, then guess what, 3 months later it fails again.

This can't be random. 2 SSD FAILS every 3 months.

Storage is very crucial, you can lost you data forever. I can't understand how can someone manufacture unreliable products !!

2. angelomango macrumors newbie

angelomango

I still have my 120GB OWC Mercury EXTREME 6G that's almost 2 years old. I bought it back in 2010 for my Macbook Pro. Now, I'm using it as my main Hackintosh drive. There's definitely been a degradation in performance, but it's still faster than any hard disk drive I have. I have only owned 1 OWC drive so I can't truly attest to the reliability of OWC's drives.

Sorry to hear that both drives failed within 3 months of use. I know it sucks when SSD's fail and you lose your data, but these kinds of things happen (which makes backing up all the more important). Fortunately, there are many alternatives now out in the market. That doesn't retrieve your lost data, but maybe you'll find better luck with the Crucial M4 or the Samsung 830.

Good luck!

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I've had two Crucial SSDs (C300 series) fail but I've also had many, many more last a long time (we use a lot within our company). Stuff happens and electronics can fail. Just make sure you use TimeMachine and you shouldn't have to worry about your data.

4. optics261 macrumors newbie

I had a very good experience with my owc 480GB SSD ... never had an issue and its still very speedy.

5. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

I have 240gb SSD from OWC at home and think about to replace my hdd with this.

6. iMusings macrumors member

Don't blame OWC. Stop running Bit Torrent on your Mac with locked-in proprietary SSD drives?

Bit Torrent writes to the disk very often and wears out your SSD like there is no tomorrow.

7. AfzalivE macrumors member

dunno where you're pulling that from but BitTorrent writes to the disk almost as much as any other download manager.
    It reads a lot if you're uploading though.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

It will not kill a SSD in three months. If that was the case with SSDs no computer manufacturer would use them as they would be replacing drives during the warranty period. These forums would be on fire with complaints of people's apples SSDs dieing, and a lot of people on here torrent....

9. wmouazzen macrumors member

why would it matter if you upload or download a lot though? How exactly does that affect an SSD drive and not a Disk based HD?

Doesn't make sense

10. Bwilky macrumors regular

So wait, if we have SSD we can't... ... R/W without causing irreversible damage?. Damn... Innovation sucks man.

11. TheHoff macrumors 6502

An SSD only has a certain # of writes possible over the course of its lifetime. If you continually wrote random bits to the drive and erased it over and over, you'd wear it out.

However bitorrent only writes once no matter how much it reads from the drive. And anecdotally anyway, I ran a SATA 2 OWC SSD for over 2 years, 10+ hours a day, including torrents. Never had an issue, just replaced it with a larger Intel.

12. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

he is just way out of touch.

your SSD fails because its using sandforce. the failure rate for the 1st gen of sandforce is extremely high, just had mine replaced.

if you are using a 2nd gen its not that noticeable but problems that were in the 1st series still appear in the 2nd, no matter what firmware you are using, Im looking at you intel 520

btw you have to write a lot to wear a nand chip down, and no way he can write that much in such a small period of time. he would have to have written more than 1tb of files each day, actually make it around 32tb