Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Has anyone had an problems installing a firmware update from OWC for their Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD (or similar) that's installed in their iMac? This is the firmware for any OWC SSD purchased prior to March 15, 2013.

I have a base model Mid 2011 iMac (model 12,2) that I installed the SSD into, using the second SATA port on the Logic Board. The installation was performed in accordance with OWC's video installation instructions and was completed with no problem.

In trying to update using their updater, it states it can't find any OWC SSD's installed.

I've contacted OWC Technical Support to try and resolve the issue over the last few weeks, and as of this date, I'm still unable to update it. OWC stattes that this SSD should be updated. The firmware update according to them, is strongly recommended, but not required.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems using their updater. Or, is it somehow only my base model imac configuration. The SSD works fine. However, I do like to keep it updated to assure continued compatibility with future OS updates. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the SSD and return it under warranty.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Jim L

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
The Piedmont, NC
I really hope this doesn't require taking our Macs apart again.
That was one of the hardest upgrades I've ever done.

Mine was purchased in May, so I should be good. Is there a chance they may have some future updates?

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
I'm just trying to see if my case is unique, such as getting a SSD that isn't internally identified as an OWC drive for the firmware, or if others have had a similar experience. In the About This Mac report, it is identified as a Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD, so I would think their updater should see it connected to the internal SATA connector.

I don't think you have to worry much about yours since it currently has the latest firmware. I agree I don't look forward to the possibility of having to take the SSD out. And I could just leave it as is, because it does work fine. But, I probably would get it replaced under warranty if it won't accept a firmware update that is "strongly suggested" by OWC.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Hmmm... nobody has a OWC SSD that needed the March 2013 firmware upgrade? No success stories? No failure stories?

Anyone?.. Bueller?.. Bueller?..

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
As an update...

I tried everything OWC suggested and nothing worked to update the firmware. So, I returned it under warranty. OWC installed the new firmware and returned the SSD to me. However, I didn't want to keep opening the iMac so when I removed the OWC SSD, I installed a Crucial M500 480GB SSD in it's place and enabled TRIM. The Crucial works excellent, too.

I placed the OWC SSD into a HP Laptop and cloned the Windows 7 HDD to it (that sure isn't as easy as doing it on a Mac). It's been working fine ever since.

jedics

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
firmware update issues here

had problems with the ssd not mounting regularly so owc asked me to update firmware, I DL it and tried to apply update via DU as instructed but get an error when trying to apply it to the usb stick. SO then Im asked to do it via CCC which wont work with it either as its not in MAC OS format.

not really impressed with the service under warranty so far, the instructions on the site are WAY to general compared to the video and neither offers any trouble shooting which has lead to me being without a drive for over a week and me being made to suff around with a drive that is under warranty.

anyone else had trouble applying the firmware to the usb step?

oh and to add insult, the live support doesnt seem to be working anymore.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I've been following the SSD discussions with interest, but for now my original 7200 RPM 1TB hard drive is still working flawlessly on my Late 2012 27" iMac (Core i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM). If it starts flaking out at some point I'm definitely going the SSD route for replacement though.

mjohnson1212

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
I have an OWC 240g 6G drive that was ordered the first day they started taking orders in 2011.

When I attempted to upgrade the firmware earlier this year it bricked the SSD completely. OWC swapped it out for a brand new one and I have had no issues with the replacement.

With that experience I can't recommend using their upgrade software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.