OWC SSD Firmware Update trouble on iMac 9,1

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Morten Nielsen, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Morten Nielsen macrumors newbie

Hi there.

My OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD was sold with the 507ABBF0 firmware, so I'm trying to upgrade to 522ABBF0. Given that my Mac is an early 2009 model (iMac9,1), I have to use the old DVD-based updater. The SSD is mounted via a Data Doubler kit in place of the Superdrive, acting in tandem with the HDD as a DIY Fusion Drive, so to burn and boot a DVD with the firmware updater software, I had to put the Superdrive back and temporarily arrange for the SSD to take the HDD's place on the main SATA cable.

Ok. This worked out well (apart from a great number of various error messages during DVD boot) as far as to the software detecting my SSD and recognizing that it needs an update, but then I get the error message "Sorry, the firmware file appears to be damaged". I retried, downloaded the image again, checked the MD5, burned it again to a fresh DVD with verification. Same story.

Then in desperation I also tried the USB-based updater, even though it doesn't fit my iMac model. I tried a few "close" models from the selection screen, got to the same updater GUI, and got the exact same error message again.

I took some photo screenshots during the operation, check out https://www.dropbox.com/sh/52b9195qegmi9rp/rT17MvaFd2

I've written the OWC helpdesk, but they haven't replied yet. Anyone care to share any tips or thoughts?

Kindly
    Morten

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

OWC technical support is very good about responding, so give them time. I had a very similar problem applying their update to a OWC SSD drive. In my case, it would recognize the drive as needing the update, but then, when I went to apply it it would say that no OWC drives were found.

After long communications back and forth through emails with OWC, I finally ended up shipping the SSD drive back to them under warranty for them to either replace or update the drive.

They did update it, and I received it back in good working order. By then, I'd replaced it with a Crucial M500 in the iMac, and put the OWC drive in a HP Laptop, where it's much easier to reach if it needs updating in the future.

3. Morten Nielsen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying. I got an answer from OWC, but they seem to just have given up and want me to send the drive to them for updating. That is an option I would really want to avoid, seeing as I now use the SSD for my main computer, and I live in Denmark, so there's an issue with customs and delays.

I'm now looking into using Boot Camp for the update. OWC states on their webpage: "SSD must either be initialized with an MBR partition table or have a Windows partition applied through Apple's Boot Camp Assistant". Does anyone know if it would be sufficient to create a hybrid MBR using, say, gdisk?

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I suspect people will refer you right back to OWC tech support for the answer to that question.

5. Morten Nielsen thread starter macrumors newbie

In the end and after a lot of frustrations and dead ends I managed to get my firmware update done in my own home. I used gdisk to create a hybrid MBR for my SSD, and booted from a Hiren's Boot CD (15.1, not 15.2 which has a menu keyboard bug) into a mini Windows XP that lets you run the firmware installer from a USB stick!