OWC SSD Install

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by strausd, Jul 28, 2010.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

So first off, who here has an SSD in the empty optical bay? Do you suggest I do the same?

Also, I have a question about OWCs drives. On their site, they say this:
    Ultra-efficient Block Management & Wear Leveling
    Prevents write speed degradation commonly experienced by other brands' SSD.

I am wondering how they do this without OS X supporting the TRIM command. If it is something in the SandForce controller, does that mean the OCZ Vertex 2 will be the same?

Thanks!

2. Mosco macrumors regular

3. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

The optical bay actually fits four 2.5"s :eek:

4. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Awesome thanks!

Physically yes, but more is required to get all 4 to work properly.

5. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

That site didn't really say anything about using the drive under OS X, which doesn't support TRIM, only windows 7. I am still curious as to how OWC says their SSDs don't degrade and if it is the same as the OCZ Vertext 2.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Trim wouldn't be supported under a RAID anyway (software or hardware implementation), even if it was supported for single drives.

7. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

So does anyone know how the OWC SSD doesn't degrade and if they are both the same?

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

OCZ has 3.5" versions of various ssd "colossus model sizes. Hopefully Apple will use drives based on these without the need for adaptors.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The OWC Mercury SSDs use the Sandforce controller, which apparently obviates the need for TRIM (as I understand it).

10. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

If it's only because of the Sandforce controller, does that mean the OCZ Vertex 2 also obviates the need for TRIM?

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I think the Vertex also uses the Sandforce controller, but you might want to confirm with OCZ first.

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Here's my performance comparison of the OWC SSD, eSATA, FW800 and FW400 in my hackintosh.

Attached Files:

13. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

The article earlier said that it too uses the Sandforce controller. Is it the controller that makes the OWC SSD not degrade over time? If so then that would mean the OCZ one doesn't either, correct?

14. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, that's my understanding. The Sandforce controller on the SSD is what does the job of TRIM, so it prevents the degradation of the drive.

15. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Very interesting. So would it be better to get an OCZ Vertex 2 if the prices are about the same because it comes with a 3.5" adapter?