owc ssd speed test

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Js17hilton, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Js17hilton macrumors newbie

Hi,

Ive had a OWC mercury extreme 6g 120gb SSD in my early 2011 15in MBP for about 2 years now... It has always been very fast, boots fast, overall everything feels much faster than it did with the spinning drive. However it never tested very fast using black magic disk speed test. I see youtube videos, podcasts ect running the same test on the same brand, and other brand SSD's that benchmark MUCH higher than mine. my write speeds are around 100MB/s and my read speeds are 170-180 MB/s.

Is there anyone else with this drive getting similar numbers???

2. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

Something about those numbers don't sound right. I get 100 mbs write on a 7200 rpm external hdd via USB 3

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Sounds like an OWC drive to me lol.

No but really, those speeds are pathetically slower than it should be.

4. ahdickter macrumors 6502

OWC rates the Mercury Extreme at 500-550MB/s read and write speeds.

How filled up is this drive? SSDs do slow down when near full capacity. Do you have TRIM enabled? In addition, do you move a lot of data around the drive, or shuffle data on and off external media often?

These results are abnormal. It could indicate a faulty SSD or another issue with the Macbook Pro.

Good luck!

5. Js17hilton thread starter macrumors newbie

The numbers never seemed right to me either. I have contacted OWC about it, and they said that program isn't a good benchmark. The numbers never really bothered me because it is so fast. It boots into OS X in 13-14 seconds, and every program is fast... but when I see other people with similar ssds getting so much more speed it just doesnt make since.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

OWC gets those rating bass of compressed data is it?

They use SandForce based SSDs so they don't technically need trim enabled. It's OWC, they don't just make good products IMO.

7. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Keep contacting them. It should take OS X less then 13-14 seconds to boot fully. Use a different program and send them a screenshot of the results. If it's still under warranty then they should replace the drive.

Even incompressible data rates are 480MBs/280MBs for read and write, respectively. Speeds this poor could mean a problem with this single drive.