OWC SSD thoughts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uaecasher, Mar 15, 2010.

1. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

2. Rafalski24 macrumors regular

I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the OWC SSD, but I have heard great things about its controller. I am fairly sure that Apple still uses SSDs using Samsung's controller, which sucks in comparison.

3. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

the only thing I've read that scares me away is a possible issue with the SF1500 controllers and their longevity. Anand's died in a matter of weeks, albeit it was an OCZ, but same controller.

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i too agree, i had 2 ocz vertex LE's and both have died and been returned, i now use the C300 crucial's, hopefully i will have better luck

5. uaecasher thread starter macrumors 65816

uaecasher

That could be a problem, where I live (Dubai) I can hardly find any SSD and if any it's mostly crappy. Thus I have to buy it online which mean 2 weeks shipping each time something breaks down.

6. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

i think Anand's C300 died too :eek:

Though if the new MP's or MBP's support SATA 6/gb, I may seriously entertain one, as I really like Crucial's support and their Micron chips.

7. silvermail macrumors newbie

I've recently ordered the 100GB version and have it running on my ASUS 1000HE EeePC and am getting errors from the BIOS with regards to the SMART monitoring. I need to press F1 in order to continue everytime I power up my machine. Haven't had a chance to try it on my MBP yet but will do so later.

8. uaecasher thread starter macrumors 65816

uaecasher

Thanks for the info, I really want an SSD though, it's really fast I was just using my dad's MBA and:

1) Start up time is like 13 sec
    2) The apps don't even have time to jump when lunched lol.
    3) shutdown in less than 3 sec.
    4) installing app takes secs

really fast.

9. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I wouldn't hesitate to buy any OWC Mercury drive. I bought a 250 gig FW800 drive from them 5 years ago. It still runs 24/7 and serves as a backup drive on my network. My research has convinced me that OWC's hardware, while not the cheapest out there, is made to the highest standards and is reliable. I am confident that their Mercury SSDs are of equally high quality.

10. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

OWC Order Problems

OWC computing screwed up my last order (wrong brand RAM, DOA drive reader) and I had previously purchsed over $2k worth of harddrives. They wouldn't make it right to the tune of $25 (cheaper ram that I received and return postage on the DOA reader)

I got an 80GB Intel SSD from Newegg for 215. It's great and I've never had a problem with them

11. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I second that. OWC customer service is really going down hill. I've had several issues with the past 6 orders. They haven't done anything to make it right.