OWC SSD updater not working..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msriotdoll, Mar 26, 2011.

1. msriotdoll, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

msriotdoll macrumors member

hi everyone,

I'm a daily reader of the forums but post alot.
    i'm running 10.6.7 macbook pro i5. I partitioned my HD with bootcamp and installed windows 7 to do the upgrade. i partitioned the ssd as FAT and did Master boot drive.
    Its connected correctly as OSX and windows sees the drive.
    forgot to add my bootcamp/osx is on the original drive in optibay and the SSD is in HD place
    when i go to run the updater no drives show up though?
    Am i doing something wrong?

thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As I understand OWC FW update instructions the Windows install and MBR must be on the SSD.

3. msriotdoll thread starter macrumors member

the MBR is on the SSD. The SSD has no information on it. Its new. I just did a single MS_FAT partition with MBR. The updater is on the bootcamp partition of my original HD.

Any other ideas?

4. msriotdoll thread starter macrumors member

contacted OWC ..they have no idea whats going on. I tried moving the SSD out of the optibay into the original HD spot and still didn't work.
    I really don't want to open my macbook pro for a third time. its bad a enough i stripped a screw trying to remove the superdrive. I know opening it up again chances one more of the screws to strip. Which all the mac screws suck in the internals. I was using good tools. (OWC)

anyway no luck. So now i'm now stuck with a windows, bootcamp partition on the old drive and a MS_DOT partition on my SSD using up valueable gigs.

btw if anyone is interesed i tapped out that tiny screw with a dremel. Unfortunately part of the screw is stuck. I might take it to a apple store to get it removed.

5. walshlink macrumors regular

Right-click on the SSD updater executable and select "Run as administrator"...your drive will show up then.

6. msriotdoll thread starter macrumors member

i already tried running it as admin and it no drives are found.

i'm at a loss.

and of course when i open the lid to the macbook pro i get beachball for like 15 seconds. the ssd is in the optibay btw.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What I was trying to say in my previous post is I think you need the Windows OS installed on the SSD. :confused:

8. msriotdoll thread starter macrumors member

i finally just deleted the partition and called it a day.
    I'll wait for the day owc comes out with the osx installer

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Good luck with that. :D They have been promising it for months.