OWC SSD upgrade in late 2013 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ugahairydawgs, Oct 1, 2016.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

OWC has their Aura SSDs available for the late 2013-present MBPs. I've been running low on space, so I am thinking about an upgrade.

Has anyone here done this upgrade on their machine? I've read some things online about them running hot and it having an effect on battery life. Has anyone here who has purchased one seen those kinds of issues?

2. Tarek macrumors 6502

I honestly haven't thought about doing that even though I only have a 256GB SSD, but if I was running out of space, I'd look into an external drive, possibly a SSD one at that for my data and backup. I have been reading about Samsung EVO SSDs and how good and compatible they are with Retina MacBook Pros, so I'd look into that.

There is also a nice detailed guide here on how to replace it: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...na-display-13-how-to-upgrade-ssd-storage.html

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It wasn't completely clear whether you meant look into Samsung EVO SSDs for external or for internal use. So to be on the safe side I'll just mention that those aren't compatible internally with Retina MacBook Pros.

4. Tarek macrumors 6502

@JTToft I've always read about it in this forum and others so I assumed it was compatible with Retina MacBooks. In that case, I really don't know if the OWC ones are any good because I haven't used them or heard about them.