OWC ThunderBay IV and BootCamp Windows - anyone have it working?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hfg, Nov 11, 2014.

1. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

OWC ThunderBay IV and BootCamp Windows - anyone have it working?

I am having trouble with the ThunderBay IV crashing BootCamp Windows 8.1 shortly after startup. The crash occurs when the ThunderBay apparently enters a standby mode.

If the ThunderBay is powered OFF at boot, the Windows installation runs with no problems. If, the ThunderBay is powered ON at boot, Windows will boot up and start normally, but after about 1-2 minutes of operation, I hear and feel a "thump" from the ThunderBay as if the heads are parking or it is powering off the disks, and Windows will crash.

My configuration is a Retina iMac with i7-4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, AMD R9 M295X and the ThunderBay has 4 ea. 3TB hard disks in RAID-5 using SoftRAID5 for OS X.

I initially observed this issue with an external Thunderbolt SSD which contained the Windows 8.1 installation. I also tried putting the external Windows SSD in the ThunderBay with the same after-boot crash. I then created a fresh BootCamp Windows 8.1 installation on the internal SSD per Apple instructions and find the crash issue here as well.

Has anyone gotten this combination of ThunderBay IV and BootCamp working ... and how did you do it?

Thanks,
    -howard

2. hfg thread starter macrumors 68040

hfg

Thanks, that is an interesting article.

I have discovered that if I swap the ThunderBay IV (4-disk) with a OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual Thunderbolt (2-disk in independent mode), I do not have the problem and Windows runs fine, even with the Thunderbolt drives sitting there on idle.

Maybe I should investigate booting external Windows via USB 3.0 to get it off the Thunderbolt bus altogether.

3. nyoungman macrumors newbie

nyoungman

I've long had the same issue here with a ThunderBay 4 mini and Retina iMac setup. Bootcamp 6 supports Thunderbolt, and today I saw that I can access a NTFS-formatted drive (JBOD). Windows will even will scan and repairs drives. But eventually it restarts. Kind've a shame.

Not only is it a pain to unplug the ThunderBay when using Bootcamp, it would be really nice to use it for Windows data drives, rather than resorting to a USB 3.0 enclosure.