Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
I've tried this with my M2 MacBook Air and M1 Ultra Mac Studio, and the OWC Thunderbolt Hub seems to be the definite cause.

The accessory causes my Mac to crash randomly while sleeping, although not frequently.

But restarting my Mac always causes it to panic. Shutting down takes a very long time. Booting up to login page takes way longer too, and the process after signing in too.

More often than not, I will get two prompts saying that "your Mac restarted because of a problem", the other asks me to reopen all previously apps or close them due to a Mac issue. These prompts would appear after the Mac tries to sign into an account.

My hub has 3 external hard drives connected to it.

Is this a hardware fault or software fault? Is this a known issue?

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
have you contacted the manufacturer (OWC) for support yet?
probably best place to start

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The accessory causes my Mac to crash randomly while sleeping, although not frequently.
I would definitely reach out to OWC. There's really nothing that you (or we) can do. There's a failure in the product that causing your mac to crash. Either get a replacement from them or another model somewhere else

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Stop using f Intel only Software by this time in history! If the program is IN TEL only can do this very thing with run away CPU using! So tell the developers to use at LEAST a Un iversal program by this time in MacWorld!

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Stop using f Intel only Software by this time in history! If the program is IN TEL only can do this very thing with run away CPU using! So tell the developers to use at LEAST a Un iversal program by this time in MacWorld!
Mmm. I have two OWC TB4 hubs and never had this problem. And I have HDs and SSDs connected to them as well as displays. Perhaps it is a problem with your device?

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
have you contacted the manufacturer (OWC) for support yet?
probably best place to start
I did now!

I would definitely reach out to OWC. There's really nothing that you (or we) can do. There's a failure in the product that causing your mac to crash. Either get a replacement from them or another model somewhere else
I was hoping it was a software issue 😩

What do you use for Thunderbolt hub (Thunderbolt ports only)?

How can I tell? I don’t think apps access my hard drives though.

Mmm. I have two OWC TB4 hubs and never had this problem. And I have HDs and SSDs connected to them as well as displays. Perhaps it is a problem with your device?
Is yours the small black one with Thunderbolt 4 ports and a USB port?

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
I did now!

I was hoping it was a software issue 😩

What do you use for Thunderbolt hub (Thunderbolt ports only)?

How can I tell? I don’t think apps access my hard drives though.

Is yours the small black one with Thunderbolt 4 ports and a USB port?
That is one of them yes. I have two different ones.

Rad

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
I've tried this with my M2 MacBook Air and M1 Ultra Mac Studio, and the OWC Thunderbolt Hub seems to be the definite cause.

But restarting my Mac always causes it to panic. Shutting down takes a very long time. Booting up to login page takes way longer too, and the process after signing in too.

More often than not, I will get two prompts saying that "your Mac restarted because of a problem", the other asks me to reopen all previously apps or close them due to a Mac issue. These prompts would appear after the Mac tries to sign into an account.

My hub has 3 external hard drives connected to it.

Is this a hardware fault or software fault? Is this a known issue?
I have one with 7 external drives and three 4K monitors and have no problem on my Studio Ultra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.