OWC turnkey process

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KaraH, Nov 25, 2012.

1. KaraH macrumors 6502

Any guesses on how long we will wait for it based on how long it has taken previous models and what we know about the current iMac? While I would LOVE to order 27" on day one I will wait until I can have apple ship in to them directly to get an OWC SSD (and anything else, like memory) instead.

2. wessew macrumors member

Apple introduced the 2011 iMacs on 5/3/11. OWC announced the turnkey upgrade program for 2011 iMacs on 8/23/11. So, for the last generation it took a little over 3 months. One other item of note: Apple reliability is relatively lowest on brand new models such as the 2012 iMacs. There are inevitable bugs, some software, some hardware which typically need to get worked out. This takes about 3 months. So, if you are willing to wait until March you get potentially two benefits. Many people won't wait!

3. KaraH thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I have waited 5 years now for a new iMac so I could hold on a few more months. Of course I will be counting the days and cursing at every system crash.

Of course, I could always ship it to me then a few months later go without it a period of time to ship it back. I would rather not get used to it and have started moving data to it before then.

This is why I was asking about the 680 in the 650 v 675 thread. I buy way more computer than I need at the time so the obsolescence date is pushed a bit further back.

BTW, I assume the OWS extended warrantee is better than applecare (in that it also covers the mac) or am I missing something? For any repairs I would need to ship it back to them though or do they cover stuff done at apple stores?