OWC vs Crucial vs other

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bearcats087, Oct 9, 2011.

1. bearcats087 macrumors member

bearcats087

I'm looking at getting an ssd around 60-70gb and am trying to decide mostly between crucial m4 64gb ssd or the owc mercury extreme 60gb ssd. My main question is which drive is the better buy as they are both around 115 USD and which drive is better and more reliable. Also if there are any other brands that are better than the above too please comment.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Can't go wrong with Intel, Samsung, Crucial, or OWC.
    You may need to enable TRIM for Intel and Crucial to keep things running fast and it is unsupported by Apple if you go that route.

3. bearcats087 thread starter macrumors member

bearcats087

is OWC plug and play no enabling and fully supported?

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

I believe those drives have built-in garbage collection so there is no need to enable trim support via the OS.

There is supposedly still some benefits to enabling trim despite the built-in garbage collection but it is not absolutely required for the drive to maintain its performance.

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Yes. They used to be a Mac only supplier. But they warrant and expect users to be running OS X. Not that it matters, a HD is a HD, but they at least have documentation for Mac users if that matters to you. I use the 6G's (They are the ones considered less reliable btw. SF-2281) and have no negative issues to report. They are very fast even on my SATAII bus.

6. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

If you can wait a week or two, the Samsung PM830 will be released. It is Samsung throughout, controller, NAND, etc. -- which is a good thing. Its predecessor, the 470 (current Samsung SSD), is among the best.

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You may or may not need TRIM for the Samsung. Good also. Better than the Samsung's Apple uses no doubt.