OWC vs. Crucial

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GibsonMarshall, Jan 28, 2008.

1. GibsonMarshall macrumors member

Are there any performance differences? OWC offers a lifetime replacement guarantee. That seems nice. I've seen a lot of you have opted for Crucial.

I'm not too familiar with Mac Ram. It looks as if the CAS latency is the same on everything. If so, is that by default in order to perform and operate correctly?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Both are great. I have always gone with OWC. But Crucial people will say the same. I don't think either is a bad choice. I would choose on price that day of the week. But really I would go OWC, as I really like their customer service etc.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

4. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

Have never had a problem with OWC. Their warranty is great, too.

5. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I went with transcend. I got the little more $ stick from newegg, that had the little M in a halo on the chips(think there Micron) for $36 for a 2gb stick

6. Steel Wheels macrumors member

Steel Wheels

Can't speak for OWC as I've never used it but, i'll give a thumbs up for Crucial. Good quality ram with great customer service.

7. adkiller macrumors newbie

I purchased a 4GB kit of g.skill CL4 memory for my MBP. It seems to be the fastest notebook RAM for SR notebooks.
    I got them from NewEgg.

-Ad

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I get my Seagate drives from Newegg. So they are probably good. I just like OWCs memory finder, makes sure you get the right RAM.

9. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

I buy all my RAM from OWC, and have for a number of years. I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from them. Two thumbs up!

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I have bought from OWC and Crucial. Never a problem with either. Both A+ vendors.

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I agree completely. I've used Crucial several times in the past, and their customer service is top-notch. I used OWC to get RAM for my new Mac Pro, and although it took a little while to receive it (probably because it was a new speed of RAM), there were no other problems.

12. Angrist macrumors 6502

When I buy new RAM I buy exclusively Crucial. I've never gotten a bad stick from them, never had one die. Check newegg before you order, sometimes they offer rebates on the Crucial memory that results in a lower end cost than ordering direct from the Crucial website.

I've used kingston and other assorted random brands when purchasing used RAM ... those are all hit-or-miss.

13. Tom McMahon macrumors member

Not that it matters but....

The OEM memory I took out of my MBP was Samsung. The 4gig OWC memory I replaced it with was also Samsung. Like buying OE without paying OE prices :)

14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

go for whichever is cheaper

both are just fine..i don't think you would notice a difference at all

15. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

Newegg and Frys.com are the only stores where I buy my RAM and such online. The lifetime warranty from OWC doesn't matter to me because almost every memory manufactorer has a lifetime warranty on their RAM anyways.

Not to mention the costs from Newegg and Frys are almost always the best online. One more plug for Newegg and their warranty/RMA process:

I had a video card that I bought from them that was defective basically from day 1 but I lived with it for about a year. I eventually signed up for an RMA, and once it was approved and I sent my card in, Newegg emailed me with two options since the video card I owned was out of stock. I could either 1) get a video card of similar price of what I paid for, or 2) get an entire refund on the original amount of the video card I paid for...and that was a video card I bought about a year ago. (sorry for the Newegg plug)

16. Nickel9th macrumors newbie

OWC, great product and gives a rebate if you send in your old RAM. They're actually having a sale on 4gig kits for MBP right now. $100...can't beat that for quality RAM. :D

17. GibsonMarshall thread starter macrumors member

I ordered from OWC Friday night and it's ready to ship.

18. pscoble macrumors 6502

Meh I ordered RAM from Crucial two weeks ago and it still hasn't come. I think something is wrong especially since I ordered 3 Business day shipping. So I can't say much in the way of Crucial it was cheap though.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I've used both Crucial and OWC in the past. Both are good companies with quality products. I'll order from whichever is cheaper at the time. I ordered a 4GB kit for my MacBook for $95 from OWC.

Buying ultrafast "gamer" RAM for Macs is pretty useless since Macs used a fixed latency timing, regardless of the fact the RAM may be capable of faster (though buying slower RAM will cause the machine to run at the slower speed).