Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What RAM should I buy?

• 2GB Netlist for 115$

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hms84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Hello Every one...
I'm trying to look for RAM to BOOST my mac pro
I live in Saudi Arabia, and have a something like a virtual address in the States (for shopping).
My first choice was Kingston, Low Price and High Quality.
When I placed my order in there site (shop.kingston.com) it gave me an error stating that my credit card address is different from my shipping address, so sorry you can't order.
my second choice is OWC...
First it's D*** cheap (^_^) the 4GB is 160$...
BUT when I was looking int to there RAMs they have another company the Netlist, it's 115$ for 2GB...

Please till me what to buy .... a Quality Vs. price thing...

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I pretty much always go with either DMS (datamem.com) or OWC these days--both guarantee Mac compatibility, use high-quality chips, have a lifetime advanced replacement warranty, and their prices are quite reasonable. So between those two, I'd personally go with OWC.

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
I pretty much always go with either DMS (datamem.com) or OWC these days--both guarantee Mac compatibility, use high-quality chips, have a lifetime advanced replacement warranty, and their prices are quite reasonable. So between those two, I'd personally go with OWC.

I have been looking into RAM as well. How does Crucial compare to these two? They currently have 4GB for $280.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
You can find a dozen posts here about exactly the same thing, but it basically comes down to this:

OWC and DMS both use "name brand" chips--meaning the big companies like Hynix, Micron, etc.

Crucial, being the retail arm of Micron, will always use Micron (which are indeed good quality) chips.

From a purely hypothetical standpoint, Crucial's RAM may be somewhat more "reliably good," given that it's single-source stuff. However, it is also significantly more expensive, and as you'll note if you search around here their online store also uses variable pricing that some people don't like (it will generate different prices depending on how you got there and what browser you're using).

All of the above offer lifetime warranties, although Crucial's is slightly more restrictive--OWC and DMS both have advanced replacement warranties, while Crucial's just says "repair or replace."

I buy a moderate amount of RAM for home, friends, and work, and from my perspective Crucial RAM is perfectly good stuff--the G5 I'm typing on right now has 4 of their sticks in it--but their prices have increased significantly in the last couple years, and I don't like their pricing system. As such, I mostly buy DMS now, occasionally OWC if they're cheaper.

Since both companies have been around for a long time I assume they'll hold true to their warranties, and the two times I got sticks from DMS that didn't work (once was an unusually picky IBM tower, the other time a mini that oddly disliked two particular sticks when installed together) they sent out replacements promptly and without hassle, prepaid return label included.

Thus far never had a stick from any of those companies fail (not counting the DOAs mentioned above) out of 20 or so computers upgraded over a period of years, breakdown about 15% Crucial, 15% OWC, 70% DMS.

hms84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
I've never considered Crucial RAM ...
BUT there's a problem with someone's computer in another post...

Unfortunately OWC ... doesn't work!

So my last hope is datamem.com ... if it doesn't work
I'll have to get from Crucial

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.