owc vs ocz ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by satirev, Mar 3, 2011.

1. satirev macrumors 6502

Im looking to get a 240/250 ssd and i noticed there is about a $100 price difference between the two brands. why is owc more expensive? and is it worth the extra 100?

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

You're going to wait for the new drives to come out in the next few weeks, right?

3. neteng101 macrumors 65816

There are different versions of OCZ drives and different versions of OWC drives. What exactly are you comparing that has the $100 difference? Most what I see is much closer in price (when comparing comparable ranges of drives from each).

4. satirev thread starter macrumors 6502

no? why would I? my macbook only supports sata II...

5. satirev thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Hornzog macrumors member

Right i've been out of 'the loop' for a while but am looking to upgrade to an SSD. What is it that's coming in the next few weeks? And more importantly is the price going to drop?

7. TheHoff macrumors 6502

See Anand's charts here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4202/the-intel-ssd-510-review/4

Even when hooked to SATA II, the new drives are significantly better for random reads and writes than the old drives. And they don't cost any more... just a few weeks to wait.

8. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Well, they're getting twice as fast for the same money... that is on the high end. The lower end drives are dropping in price.

The new high end drives coming out are the Intel 510, The OCZ Vertex 3, and OWC will have something with a Sandforce on SATA III too, I'm sure.

9. neteng101 macrumors 65816

10. satirev thread starter macrumors 6502

what? how? putting a sata 3 drive into a sata 2 machine will not make the machine perform faster than putting a sata 2 drive into a sata 2 machine...

11. TheHoff macrumors 6502

You're confusing the speed capability of the drive with the speed of the port it is connected to.

The new drives are twice as fast as the old drives. The new drives use a SATA III port. These two things are independent of each other.

The new drive will still be faster than the old drive even if it is hooked up to a SATA II port. Anandtech showed this with the very thorough test I linked to above. Check the lines where it shows the OCZ Vertex 3 at the top of the charts. The top line has (6 GB/s) on it which means that is when it is hooked to SATA III. Then check a few lines below and you can see where it is hooked to SATA II -- it is still faster than every other drive hooked to SATA II. The older drives never even saturated SATA II whereas the new drives will.

New drives on old ports are still faster than old drives on old ports.

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

OP seems like he has his mind set...someone just support him?

13. satirev thread starter macrumors 6502

i had no idea, i suppose i will wait for the new drives then/.

14. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

So it seems like a lot of people are recommending waiting for new SSD's to hit the market - but what if I'm interested in the 512GB SSD from Apple? Is there a point to wait if I am interested in that particular size? Are any of the new SSD's coming out anticipating a 512GB or larger storage for $1,100 or less?

15. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

They will be priced relative, maybe cheaper, to the Apple SSD but they're faster and you get the HDD that comes with the machine.

16. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

That still doesn't answer the question if a large SSD will be available in those faster models. Also, I'm not really interested in keeping yet another 2.5 HD around. I already have a NAS at home with like 12TB's of storage waiting to be filled.

17. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Pretty sure I answered it. Are there third party 512GB SSDs now? Will there be with the new Sata III SSDs? Yes. Do what you want it's your money.