OWC with Samsung or Hitachi drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ilikenascar, Feb 13, 2009.

1. ilikenascar macrumors newbie

I'm debating between 2 drives (enclosure and drive). I don't want to build one myself, so I'm down to these two:

Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500GB = http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEAQ7500GB16/

Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB = http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEAQ7750GS32/

My question is, the one with the hitachi is on the main hard drive page, and in talking with an OWC tech, he said the main page shows the latest/new drives they have.

The Samsung one that I'm looking at is only $30 more, and I get an extra 250GB and 32MB cache vs. 16, but it's an older drive. Any problems for whatever reason with getting one that's "not as new/recent" as the hitachi supposedly is? To be honest I don't have release dates that I'm looking at, so for all I know they just haven't updated their 500GB version and the hitachi drive is older than the samsung. Anyway, just curious what you all think. I'm leaning towards the samsung, but wasn't sure if I'd be "safer" getting a more recently released drive, if there's any technological advantage that one has over the other.

Thanks!

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

To throw another option in there for $19 more than your Samsung drive. Quad Interface 750GB Seagate.

3. ilikenascar thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I saw the seagate but all the posts about people having issues and whatnot has me a little worried about going with Seagate. I know it's likely a case by case basis, but just seems odd with so many recent posts about the issues they've been having.

Even then, if I considered the 750GB seagate, any suggestions based on the 3?

500gb hitach
    750gb samsung
    750gb seagate

And I know for just another $20 I could get a 1TB hitachi....but lets not go there.

Thanks!

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Can't really go wrong with either the Samsung or Hitachi. Also, I think the Seagate issues are only with the 1.5TB models. Nonetheless, I don't feel so comfortable with using them either.

Also, newer doesn't mean safer.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...any drive can fail, make sure you have your data backed up...

I have a 100 GB Seagate drive that has my iTunes files on it for over 4 yrs now and its still going strong...

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm beginning to feel like I'm playing that game where you hit the little frog heads that pop up with a hammer replying to these posts but nonetheless...

The Seagate issues were on some 7200.11 model 1TB and 1.5TB drives and have been fixed in firmware. I bought a 1.5TB that shipped with the latest firmware and popped it into an Icy Dock MB559UEB1-S enclosure and have had no problems whatsoever. The drive is cool, quiet and fast.

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I have a no no list, and on it is WD and Seagate:rolleyes:

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

You wouldn't care to perhaps elaborate as to why you feel this way? :p

If it is based on personal negative experiences the OP might find that information to be much more helpful.

I have a pet peeve list and on it are forum contributors who make negative blanket remarks while offering no supporting data or examples whatsoever to back them up.

Here's another recent example.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...h#!!, I just looked at my 9 yr old Dell 8100 desk top and 8 yr old Toshiba 1905-S303 and they are backed up to a WD 160 GB EHDD that's still going strong also (the HDD is even assembled in the USA)...

10. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

Yep, i just got 2-Seagate 1.5TB HDDs and they both came with the CC1J firmware that is supposed fix and i put all my appletv. itunes, media libraries on it and broadcastit over the network, so far so good, im using a similar case, i even placed it in my macpro for testing and stress testing, placed it in another enclosure, all good to go!

Western Digital has definitely been producing some great drives.
    I have dozens of their drives, more recently theyre AAKS series and Caviar Black (32MB cache) series and theyre tough competition for the other drives out there.

I have a couple Seagates (original that came with my MP) and the two 1.5TB, they seemed to solve their own problems so im good to go.

I also have had goodluck with the hand full of Hitachi 1TB drives i got recently, minus the fact when i format it to FAT32 and use it as network storage it stalls my Base Station, but when formatted to HFS+ its solid ::shrugs::

Samsung; i have 2 of their 1TB F1 drives, SOLID and FAST, my first Samsung drive and once their price starts falling im sure going to pick up some spares, theyre top notch performers.

I guess it might have been my luck or what,but ive only had a couple bad experiences with drives,but so far they seem to be going strong, most of the WDs i own are over a year - 3years old.

to the OP, i think the Samsung drive seems like a pretty reliable and fast performer....i'd recommend that if youre looking for a pretty fast drive.
    the hitachi while isnt bad, lacks the space the 750 has and while the cache wont be as noticeably different...you might get your $ worth for the higher end drive with multi interfaces.