OWC's Aura SSDs Not Working With macOS High Sierra, Fix Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 26, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Some Mac owners who have replaced their machine's storage with Aura SSDs from OWC are not able to install macOS High Sierra at this time due to an incompatibility issue that prevents the update from successfully converting the drives to the new APFS format.

The Aura SSDs show up as "Rotational" drives instead of Solid State, and when attempting to install macOS High Sierra, users are seeing an error message about a firmware update before the installation process crashes.

[​IMG]

Several customers who have purchased Aura SSDs have complained on a macOS High Sierra beta blog post, as the issue long pre-dates the macOS High Sierra release. One customer was told that new firmware would not be developed until the High Sierra golden master was released, but new firmware has apparently not made it out yet.

OWC offers Aura SSDs for a range of Macs, including many MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro models. According to the company, Aura SSDs compatible with the following machines are affected:

- MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013)
    - MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
    - MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014)
    - MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)
    - Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Apple is aware of the issue with select third-party SSDs, and the OWC engineering team is working directly with Apple on a fix. OWC expects "a very timely solution."

Article Link: OWC's Aura SSDs Not Working With macOS High Sierra, Fix Coming Soon

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

3. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

Gotta love their recommended fix. Unbelievable.

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

OWC: We'll charge you more for an inferior product. And you'll still buy it!

5. Defthand, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2017

Defthand macrumors 6502a

It’s an OWC SSD. Enough said. We had unsolvable issues with the SSD’s we tried. Worse still, was their denial and lousy return policy.

6. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

That makes no sense if you swap the ssd with original then replace it back you wouldnt have the OS what a dumb fix

7. Soopastar macrumors newbie

Soopastar

I made the mistake of buying of of these for my 2013 Retina Macbook Pro. It died in about 6 months. The replacement died a few months later. I have the third replacement sitting on my desk. These things get HOT! I am just a casual end user - I do not edit video, play games etc. I'm glad I didn't install the replacement yet. Not sure I want to.

8. Weaselboy, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is probably because those drives were setup as RAID0 internally.

Here is an excerpt from the THESSDREVIEW:

The whole setup was a kludge from the beginning.

9. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

I did the same thing, except I went through 3 in 3 months. This last one has lasted for a while now, but I guess I won't be using High Sierra for a while.

10. sd70mac macrumors member

sd70mac

I guess there weren't enough people running the beta that had third-party SSDs to determine if there was a problem. It seems like there's always at least one day-one bug like this when a new version of the Macintosh Operating System comes out.

11. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Surprising. Generally OWC has the best customer support in the business and is all over this kinda stuff.

12. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Oh man, so glad I got the Jetdrive SSD. Upgraded to High Sierra this morning without a hitch. They only work on the 2010 - 2012 model MBAs though.

13. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

They definitely have good CSR. I got my replacements for free, with no shipping charges and hardly any waiting time. And I didn't even talk to a single person.

But I still got 2 crappy SSDs in a row.

14. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Weird, I have an Aura (480GB in a late 2013 15" rMBP) with High Sierra installed.

Everything went smoothly.

15. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

16. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

17. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Never cared for OWC's products. Had okay experiences with their controllers, but even then they had some trouble. Never liked their SSD offerings, sure it can be fixed but is not something I want to maintain. I figure if they're not being sold by Apple there may be a reason they're not recommended?

18. Jody Hewell macrumors newbie

Jody Hewell

Same here. No problems.

19. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Updated this with a specific list of machines affected. It's limited to some MacBook Air and Mac Pro models. Other machines with Aura SSDs should be able to install High Sierra with no problems.

20. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

Agreed. No clue why someone would buy OWC over Crucial, especially considering that OWC is more $$$. Been running my Crucial M4 in my MacBook Pro for 5 years now and never had so much as a hiccup.

21. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

Umm, we're talking about AURA SSD's which is only one of two vendors that make SSD's for macbooks from 2013 onward. So for anyone with a 2013, 2014, or 2015 macbook pro or macbook air, Crucial does NOT make compatible ssd's for those models.
    It's either OWC, or these guys -

http://www.transintl.com/super-blade-flash-storage-ssd.html

22. AxiomaticRubric macrumors 6502

AxiomaticRubric

"Timely solution"!?

Ummm..... no. Failed.

23. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

Ah, my bad. Guess I saw an opportunity to rag on OWC as I’ve heard nothing but bad things about their SSDs.
    All the more reason to go with your recommended drive.

24. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

Bought a transcend ssd for a 2012 retina pro, they have others for lots of macs. Works great, no issues with High Sierra,and has TRIM too.

25. Oli20 macrumors member

I have a crucial but am getting this same error. Can’t seem to get upgraded because of “firmware”.