Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I am really interested in the Owle Bubo and want one but the intro price of $99.95 is preventing me from buying one. It just seems a bit high for a fancy lens holder, even though it looks pretty cool.

Any thoughts?

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
never heard of this but it looks bad-ass. id like to see some sample vids if people start buying these things...

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I'd like to see what it can do.
All it really does is hold your iPhone and provides a mount for lenses and lights. It does look pretty cool but again the price seems a bit high for something that is only a mount. If it were say priced at around $50, I'd jump all over it. But $99.95 seems a bit high for a piece of aluminum and the so called privilege of having one of the first 500. They claim this is a special price and the future price will be $129.95......$129.95 really? If I won't pay $99.95, I certainly won't pay $129.95.

I think the OWLE Bubo is a great idea and design, I just have issue with the price point.

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
It says the lens + mic are included in the 99.99 price tag, but who knows if they really improve focal / audio quality that much...

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I would bet the $20 mic included with the OWLE Bubo is much better than the iPhone's mic. And lenses are a macro and wide angle combo, again much better than the iPhone's. You can find everything except the OWLE at Amazon for the same or less. So with that in mind, I still say $99.95 is to much.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
The videos they shot in the side by side comparison is impressive in video quality. The lens does make a difference with saturation, and clarity. I'm not sold on the stability while walking with it. I'd like to test that myself.

I'm interested in this for the lens use more so then the mount. The price is up there... AND, I wish they would allow a different mount solution so you can use your own case.

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
i like it, but i'd have to get the band saw, the grinder/polisher, drill, a tap, and the TIG welder after it. they've taken care of the milling

i don't need the handles on the bottom or the top. well maybe not the top as it protects the lens by it's height. i'd definitely rather the tripod mount more centered

i like the idea of having lenses and filters, a mic, immediate upload capabilities, etc. all in one "camcorder".

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not sold on the stability while walking with it. I'd like to test that myself.

The price is up there... AND, I wish they would allow a different mount solution so you can use your own case.
Any heavy mount will make what you are holding more stable, that is the idea of the OWLE. But it is not to heavy in that it would tire you out using it.

The case they include is a standard silicone style, so if you use one like it then you can use your own case. But considering the current version of the OWLE is made out of billet aluminum, I wouldn't want to use a plastic case, for fear of scratching it.

If they dropped the price down to $50, I'd buy it!

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
i don't need the handles on the bottom or the top. well maybe not the top as it protects the lens by it's height. i'd definitely rather the tripod mount more centered

i like the idea of having lenses and filters, a mic, immediate upload capabilities, etc. all in one "camcorder".
The top aren't handles, they are mounts.

One of the mounts on the bottom are more centered to the iPhone's camera lens, which is what you want instead of centered to the iPhone body. But you have to remember this was designed as more of a carry and film mount than a tripod type mount.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Any heavy mount will make what you are holding more stable, that is the idea of the OWLE. But it is not to heavy in that it would tire you out using it.

I completely understand the concept behind it, I'm just saying when you watch the side the side videos, I don't notice that much of a stability difference. I'd like to test this myself. But for me, it's not so much about the mount as it is the lens's. I'd LOVE the option to change lens's and get a wide angle, or clarity... I MAY bite the bullet and pick this up soon, just to try it.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
They are talking about making a less expensive plastic version of the OWLE Bubo, so I am not sure how that will work for stability.

I know I sound down about the product, but I am more down about the price as the design is a thing of art.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
The $99 deal is over and now it costs $130. While I want one, I certainly didn't feel this product was worth the lower sale price, so I didn't get one. At its current higher price I will never end up buying one. Maybe I will have to make my own design.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
To resurrect an old thread, I just got my hands on one of these, and I have a promo code to drop the price down to $99 again for those seriously interested.

I will do a full review and video on this this week, but my initial impressions are high. As soon as you get this in your hand, you feel the quality. It's made extremely well, and is much heavier then I expected. I was able to use this with my Switcheasy Vulcan case, but it's tight, and only went in a certain way. I'm quite happy for this, as I didn't want to have to use their case each time I wanted to use this. It would have caused me to use it far less.

So far, I like it out of the box. Full testing soon.

shipes

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Owle Bubo

We ordered two of the 3GS units (August 13) and still have not received them. They will not return emails or phone calls. Amazing way to steal over $300.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
We ordered two of the 3GS units (August 13) and still have not received them. They will not return emails or phone calls. Amazing way to steal over $300.
Nothing like digging up a year old thread to let us all know you got taken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.