Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vogue8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
I own a 2g iphone, much to my dismay, the price AT&T is offering me to upgrade to the 3GS is $200 more than for new subscribers! I paid $400 for the 2g, it was in no way subsidized by AT&T, and AT&T let 2g owners upgrade to the 3G at the best rate. What's going on here? I've called AT&T 3 times, each time I was given the run-around. After reiterating the situation, each representative agreed I should be given the $299 rate, but two days after each call (when the change should have been made) I was told that my request had been rejected for not meeting AT&T's upgrade criteria.

:mad:

Anybody else with a 2g iPhone able to get the $299 price without spending over $100/month the last 3 months?

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I understand being upset about this situation to a point. However, I do find it interesting that in this entire rant you left out the details needed to decide if this is s legitimate complaint or not. Might I ask WHEN you got the original iPhone?

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
I own a 2g iphone, much to my dismay, the price AT&T is offering me to upgrade to the 3GS is $200 more than for new subscribers! I paid $400 for the 2g, it was in no way subsidized by AT&T, and AT&T let 2g owners upgrade to the 3G at the best rate. What's going on here? I've called AT&T 3 times, each time I was given the run-around. After reiterating the situation, each representative agreed I should be given the $299 rate, but two days after each call (when the change should have been made) I was told that my request had been rejected for not meeting AT&T's upgrade criteria.

:mad:

Anybody else with a 2g iPhone able to get the $299 price without spending over $100/month the last 3 months?
When is your upgrade date?

vogue8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
I understand being upset about this situation to a point. However, I do find it interesting that in this entire rant you left out the details needed to decide if this is s legitimate complaint or not. Might I ask WHEN you got the original iPhone?

I got it for Christmas 2007, but didn't activate it until June (to avoid ETF from tmobile). The point is that AT&T didn't subsidize the phone. AT&T is very vocal about explaining how they subsidize the 3G phone, so they want people to wait at least 18 months to upgrade. In my case they want me to wait 18 months, even though I (wife actually) paid for the whole thing.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I got it for Christmas 2007, but didn't activate it until June (to avoid ETF from tmobile). The point is that AT&T didn't subsidize the phone. AT&T is very vocal about explaining how they subsidize the 3G phone, so they want people to wait at least 18 months to upgrade. In my case they want me to wait 18 months, even though I (wife actually) paid for the whole thing.

So you don't have a phone that AT&T has subsidized?

vogue8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009

The worst part is that last Christmas I got my wife the 3g iPhone. If I had made her phone the primary phone on our family plan, I would get the subsidy (as her bill would be over 100/month.) As it was, my 2g was the primary phone and as the data/sms is 15/month cheaper, I was just below the 100/month threshold.

vogue8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
That's typical, then. You're still well under contract.

Even if you didn't initially subsidize your phone, they're going to charge you early upgrade cost for a new handset.

The exempted everyone 2g owners for the 3g and they are exempting 3g owners now for the 3gs. If I had wanted to upgrade last month I could have gotten the 3g (non-s) for 199, now it is 299? WTF?

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
The exempted everyone 2g owners for the 3g and they are exempting 3g owners now for the 3gs. If I had wanted to upgrade last month I could have gotten the 3g (non-s) for 199, now it is 299? WTF?
They are not exempting everyone who got a 3G, only if you spend $99 or more. Maybe you should spend $99 or more.

vogue8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
Then that's when you'll get your upgrade. Why do you think that you get subsidized for the 3GS? Because you have a 2G?

Last year they subsized the 3G for 2G owners, the explanation was that 2G owners phone's weren't subsidized.

vogue8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
They are not exempting everyone who got a 3G, only if you spend $99 or more. Maybe you should spend $99 or more.

Thats the killer, I am spending like $140/month on an AT&T family plan...BUT the way it is broken down is that my 2g phone is the primary phone, so it is $70 + $20 data = 90/month. My wife's phone is 10 voice + 35 for data. If I had made hers the primary phone it would have been 70 + 35 /month and I would get the subsidy even though I am spending the same.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
If you didn't use any subsidy on this very line you are looking to upgrade since obtaining the first gen iPhone, then you should be receiving subsidy on the 3G S. However, I think you're a bit confused on how subsidy works and you probably did use it.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
If you have NEVER purchased a subsidized handset from AT&T (perhaps as backup?), then you should qualify for the subsidized 3GS. Unless you are leaving something out, then you SHOULD be eligible for new customer pricing because you've NEVER gotten a subsidy from AT&T. Upgrade pricing does NOT go along with your contract. You can be in a contract and be eligible for an upgrade. I bought a 1st gen iPhone last Aug and activated it and I was eligible for the 3GS at the 199/299 price. However, there was a point in time where they messed up my account and I saw online that it said I wasn't upgrade-eligible. I made sure then that they fixed it. Did you set up your account in the store? Do you remember who did it for you? They would probably be the best person to talk about this issue. Also, if they say you've received a subsidy, and you haven't, MAKE them SHOW you proof. Don't give up.

blueturf

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
The OP payed $400 for the early upgrade price and signed a new contract when he activated it. At&t didn't offer a contract free iphone at that time, so he is not eligible for a subsidized phone until he is 18 months into the contract.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The OP payed $400 for the early upgrade price and signed a new contract when he activated it. At&t didn't offer a contract free iphone at that time, so he is not eligible for a subsidized phone until he is 18 months into the contract.

You're CONTRACT is for your SERVICE agreement. You have to have service with them for that amount of time. It is NOT the same as your upgrade!!! I was eligible for a subsidized phone the DAY I activated my 1st gen iPhone because I didn't buy it from AT&T, because it was never subsidized, and because I never purchased any other phone, ever, from AT&T.

So, unless the OP purchased a phone from AT&T before or after activating the 1st gen iPhone, then he should be eligible for new customer pricing. If he did purchase or get a free phone from AT&T before/after the activating the iPhone, then he shouldn't be eligible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.