Own 64GB Ipad 3G: Sell and get iPad2 or wait for 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sidgriffey, Feb 23, 2011.

1. sidgriffey macrumors member

I have a 64GB iPad 3G+Wi-Fi which I am happy with, but for lack of facetime and the fear that it will experience what the iPhone 3G did as firmware updates roll in -- gradual slowness and drop in value.

It seems it could fetch $700+ on Craigslist. The question is, do I sell and put the $ towards an iPad 2 or do I wait and sell later (get less for it) but get the iPad 3?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Nah, wait until 2015 and get the 6th version. :rolleyes:

If your iPad does everything you need it to, why upgrade? If the next generation iPad wows you, buy it.

The only known facts: 1) your iPad will continue to drop in resale value, and 2) Apple will continually release improved models.

3. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

just sell it ASAP ! .... if possible before the news is all over that the new one is out !

4. J Griz 757 macrumors regular

J Griz 757

Personally, I say buy it, if the selling point to you is good enough.

I knew the moment iPad was announced last year, to wait, as iPad2 would have everything Apple deliberately waits on (front facing camera etc).

But I'm a fan of "the new thing" so I'm surprised I was able to wait on this. If you're thrifty like me, and don't feel the need for 2 iPads, sell your first one on ebay to cover alot of the iPad 2's cost.

When iPhone 4s (or 5) comes out, I'll sell my iPhone 4 for 4-500, and upgrade. I do this with most of my smaller Apple products.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

Whatever you do, don't try to compare it to actual products - just rely on random opinions on a rumor site. The iPad 3 will likely have a juice dispenser so I'd wait for that one.

7. Victory macrumors newbie

Some people actually believe that being a jerk makes them sound witty. I've upgraded my iPhone every other year since the original and I'm thinking I might use that approach with the iPad as well. By the 3rd iteration I will probably be more willing to upgrade. You would get less money selling at a later date, however if you're considering buying one money can't be that much of an issue (besides just wanting a great deal, nothing wrong with that).

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Keep the iPad 1, wait till the 2 comes out and determine if it has features you must have. So far the rumors of the iPad 2 have been rather low key. Ram upgrade, thinner design, and maybe a boost in the cpu (possibly but probably not dual core).

If you're satisfied with the iPad now, there's no harm in waiting.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

I think a lot of people (sometimes me too) forget that the current device will continue to run the current software just as well in two months as it handles it today. Whether something newer/better is out doesn't normally affect that.

Now when new iOS versions come out that don't work as well on the current device, or new apps come out making good use of capabilities the current device can't support -- that's when it gets more interesting. :D

10. Gryzor macrumors 6502

You already know what you want to do, so why ask for opinions? You know for a fact that if you "decide" to wait for iPad 3, once iPad 2 comes out you will suffer "waiters remorse" and buy one anyway, rinse and repeat for when iPad 3 comes out, then iPad 4... So, do you sell iPad now, or later? Personally, I'd sell it now if you can handle being without one, but as you spent your entire life without one before, I'm sure you can manage.

11. PacMookBro macrumors regular

People still bought iPad 1 last year even though they knew it would be outdated and eat the significant depreciation this year. Buy iPad 2 and do the same for iPad 3 if you must have the latest and the best. Buy iPad 3 and so on...

12. F.N.Furter macrumors newbie

switch to iPad 2

Hi, I will upgrade to iPad 2. Not so much to have sooo many cool new functions (still a lot of speculation on which ones the iPad 2 really will have), and not because it is (potentially) thinner. I upgrade simply because I do not want to have to handle battery problems, screen problems, nor run the risk of not being able to upload newest iOS software with my current iPad 1 when iPad 3 or 4 will come out. And you get a better resale value when the "generation gap" between the currently marketed device and the one you sell is only one generation.

13. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Honestly, if you wait for the iPad 3 then you'll be waiting for a while. So i suggest you go on and grab the iPad 2.
    Remember, the iPad will always be 1 cycle behind the iPhone, unless Apple decides to extend the refresh cycle in a year.

14. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Eventually iPad 1 will turn like iPhone 3G in the next 3-4 years

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

Really? When the iPad is 4 or 5 years old it will seem dated? That's unfathomable.

16. tirnszw, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

tirnszw macrumors member

Same here, often people are not aware of the cost of battery replacement through Apple once it is out of warranty. For me, "thinner" and "lighter" are good enough adjectives to justify the upgrade, let alone "cameras". My iPads were swiftly sold in the past few weeks. Too bad the Apple event date is already announced today but, sell now while not many people heard it or are aware of it.

iPad 1 does not have cameras whereas iPad 2 and later will probably do. In my humble opinion, people who are not closely paying attention to tech stuff on the news would simply see the one with cameras "a must have feature" when compared with the one without.

17. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

A 7" version may appear later this year. I would buy the iPad 2 and sell it later on closer to release od 3...whenever that may be.

18. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

What I technically meant was that iOS 4.2 was the last software update to iPhone 3G... iPhone 3G shipped with 3.0 and from 3.0 to 4.2 that was roughly a 3 year run for the iPhone 3G version in terms of software updates, since iOS 4.3 will become incompatible with it and only iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS will get iOS 4.3.

Eventually iPad will become "old" and no more software updates will come to it, as a way to make consumers buy a newer model or whatever theory you can think of.

IMO, iPad 1 will probably become incompatible come iOS 6 but who knows?

19. gpc17 macrumors regular

Wait until wednesday.. Then when you see what are the changes, decide...;)