Own a first-gen MBP -- upgrade to latest?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Heinekev, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Heinekev macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I purchased a first generation (core duo) 2.0ghz MacBook Pro roughly a year ago. Totally satisfied with it, and it was my first major Mac purchase aside from a Mac Mini. I used it as a desktop replacement (I spent that time in Iraq and the notebook held up wonderfully in the harshest of conditions).

The system specs are:
    Processor - 2.0ghz Core Duo
    RAM - 2x 512 (1gb) 667 DDR
    HDD - 7200rpm 100gb
    Video - 256mb x1600

I've been considering getting a Mac Pro for some time but the fact that the high end video card is only a 1900xt turns me off bigtime. For the configuration I want in a desktop, the price is too prohibitive considering the video card. I will also lose mobility, which really matters -- most of my gaming is done at my brothers house or with friends. That was one of the biggest draws of the MBP.

Performance is a big factor, and I understand that options are limited. What I am curious of is the difference between the latest generation and the first gen that I have. Will I see a difference in the processing power between a 2.0 core duo and a 2.4 core 2? The 8600m is a DX10 card for BootCamp, so it has scalability for future game releases (not that I intend to use Vista often at all), but is it faster than the x1600? World of Warcraft, Oblivion, and when they're released, Starcraft 2 and Quake Wars are probably the only games I'll play. Is it a fair assumption that the 8600m will run these games? Obviously not at the maxed out settings, but Quake Wars beta runs at 2-3fps on my current MBP.

Aside from gaming, I use the machine for light photo editing (I am a hobbyist, not a professional) with Photoshop and Aperture. Everything else falls into a category that really doesn't require anything fancy -- terminal (network architect by profession) and isale.

The configured cost with corporate discount is $2466 for the new laptop:

Processor - 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo
    RAM - 2x 1gb (2gb total)
    HDD - 160gb 7200rpm
    Video - 256mb 8600m

I'd sell the original MBP for $1,000.

What are your thoughts?

2. Derfy macrumors newbie

I have similar usage to you (aside from Iraq - I haven't had to put my MBP up to that), with a very similar laptop (MacBook Pro 1st Rev 1.86 GHz Core Duo). I'm perfectly satisfied. I don't see why you'd want to upgrade - sure, you'd see some performance increase, but is it really enough to warrant the $1000+ price tag? I'm guessing roughly around a 10% increase. I also play games under the X1600 Mobility, and I have no problem using that either, it seems like a fine portable chip to me. It does get a little hot, but imagine how hot a new MacBook Pro might get?

I guess, what I'm saying is, I'd say just keep your current MacBook Pro. It's served you well, why would you get rid of it for a 10% increase in performance?

3. Heinekev thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I am trying to quantify - what IS the performance increase? I'd love to go to an Apple store and compare apples to apples (lol, /nerd) but since that isn't likely to happen I'd like to see if anyone has used both.

You do raise a great question, though. If the performance increase is really only 10%, then it's definitely not worth it.

4. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

you can get more than $1000 for the original if its in good condition...i'd say you can get $1200